How to connect sky to different Tv's

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by zep_uk, Jan 4, 2007.

1. zep_uk

zep_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone

This is my first post and im new on here and hoping you guys can help me with this question :)

im about to get sky as ive just moved into my house and it doesnt have a main arial :( and was going to get sky for the living room. Is there any why of running sky upstiars to mt tv in my bedroom without another sky box?

any help would be great

thanks in advance.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    Yes...and a very common thing for Sky digibox owners to do.
    You just run a length of coax cable from the RF2 socket on the rear of the digibox...if you ask the Sky installer nicely, give him a biccie or 2 along with his cuppa (and maybe grease his palm with a tenner) he well may do it for you. :devil:
    Note that you are stuck to watching the same Sky channel as is showing downstairs.

3. wellfan

wellfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  4. zep_uk

zep_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys for your help and advice i have hernd of AV sender would this work aswell as the other suggested way? and do you have to keep the tv on downstiars?

5. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,178
    No the Sky Box will need to be on. The TV downstairs doesn't.

6. zep_uk

zep_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the quick response guys, is a av sender the way to go or will it not work with sky box?

7. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
  8. wellfan

wellfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I bought a videosender from Argos, used it for a couple of days but gave up due to the crap picture quality and interference. Best to go with the TV Link magic eye and a length of discreetly positioned cable. TV Link eyes can be had for about a fiver on ebay and work a treat.

9. zep_uk

zep_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahh cool im going to look into these tv link eyes and see if they are any good just trying to thik of the best option really if i shoud get ad sender or good old cable, but i will have a hunt on ebay, thanks once again guys :hiya:

i was going to use this from argos what you think!?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5343614.htm

10. zep_uk

zep_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive been looking at the sky magic eye and they look like they work like a gooden :clap:

but i was wondering can you connect more than one sky magic eye to the digibox so it can be viewed on more tv's in the house?

11. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Yes you can.

If you plan to use more than one best thing to do is use an amp that supports magic eyes like the Global F140.

The rf2 output from your sky box goes to the input on the amp. The 4 outputs then go to the tvs around the house. You can use a magic eye at each location. The amp does not require a power supply as it is powered by the rf2 on the sky box. Using an amp will help improve the signal.

http://www.globalcom.co.uk/prod_blank.php?ProductsID=35

Nickp.

12. zep_uk

zep_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your input nick and the other people that have commented on this thread. I will be buying this amp to support my tv's around the house, just gotta wait for the sky man to install my box now :smashin:

13. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Have a look on ebay for the Global F140. Can get them new for just under £18 delivered.

Nickp.

14. Ash_Guest

Ash_Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to have recently set-up another TV in my bedroom, using existing coax cable from my living room and my bedroom that was originally installed by the builders, both cables run up to the loft space and I guess an aerial should have been installed. However it wasn't, so I took the opportunity to join the two ends using a connector.

The video signal is perfect (seeing I was balancing on the rafters, in near darkness with a torch in my mouth!)

So I bought a "smart eye" from Maplins (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46524&criteria=smat eye&doy=5m1) and plugged it into my TV upstairs.

However it doesn’t work, the cable's plugged into the RF2 and I’ve made sure the power for RF2 is on, I’ve even run a 10 meter coax extension cable from the Sky box and plugged the eye into the end just to make sure the eye wasn't faulty (it worked fine). I’ve been told that it could be my aerial sockets, that they may have some sort of transistor in them that stops interference but in turn stops the voltage from the sky box (is this true?) anyway I took them both apart and couldn’t find anything.

Could it be the connection up in the loft space? Do I need to use the connector previously mentioned in the thread? or could it be the length of cable? I estimate about 30 Metres in length?

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Ash

15. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    If the tv wall plate in the living room or bedroom is an isolated type it will stop the DC power from the rf2 outlet from being sent. Isolated sockets have a capacitor.

If your wall plate is like the one in the link below change it to a non-isolated one.
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wall_plates.htm

Nickp.

16. wellfan

wellfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In the interests of having as few connections as possible in my system (always a week point), I replace the wallplate with a blanking plate and drill an 8mm hole directly in its centre and feed the cable directly through the hole and directly connect it to the digibox. I have no breaks in my cable from the LNB to my digibox and I have an excellent signal and I live in Scotland where we are ever so slightly further away from the satellite. I do the same when connecting RF2 from the didgibox to my other TV's, therefore, no problems with the TV Link eyes.