How to connect sky/sky+ to an AV Rx Onkyo 606

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dodgyticker, Feb 8, 2009.

1. dodgyticker

dodgyticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of buying an AV receiver to connect all my gear to, Sky, DVDR HDD, Freesat PVR and possibly a BluRay player to my 50" Panasonic plasma. Going to hide the cables in the wall so I want to be sure of connections before I do this. Not too sure how to do the Sky connection because it only has a scart as an output. Will I be able to use a scart to component/RCA adaptor. As you can probably guess I am a complet amateur at this and any help would be appreciated. :lease:

2. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    You could use a RGB to component convertor, but these are expensive (£60 - £150), alternatively just connect the sky box straight to the TV via fully wired scart and just send the audio to the amp (stereo RCA for normal Sky, optical for Sky+).

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Put at least one of every input your plasma will recieve in the wall. that way you won't go wrong. might be a bit overkill , but you never know

4. SabreHunter

SabreHunter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Which sky/Sky+ box is it? My sky+ box has a S-Video output so I use this for video and then I use the optical connection for audio, only way to get dolby digital out of the sky box (make sure you enable it in the services menu). This is then sent by the sky box to the screen over HDMI.
    Hope it helps

5. dodgyticker

dodgyticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips, will do a bit more research into the connectivity once I have the av rx.:thumbsup:

6. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    The only problem with this is your not getting the best video quality out of your Sky+ (RGB via scart). However I understand some people like (or even require) the convenience of having a single HDMI to the display.

BTW Dodgyticker there is plenty of information about the Onkyo 606 in the Onkyo Owners Forum.