how to connect Pioneer vs527k to bose companion speakers ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by anshul712, Sep 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. anshul712

anshul712
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, hope you can help me get of this puddle.

Essentially, I own a set of Bose Companion 5 speakers.
    Recently I have been discussing AV receivers with friends and was gifted a Pioneer VSX 527K receiver.

The receiver does a 5.1 speaker setup. It also has an active subwoofer output and what looks like a left & right RCA stereo speaker outputs.

(http://www.pioneer.eu/images/product...rear_large.jpg)

The problem is that the Bose speakers will only take input through USB (simulated 5.1) or stereo thorough a 3.5 mm jack.

I have been doing lots of googling but can't figure out how to connect the two.

Do I need to buy an Analog to Digital Converter (the guy at Maplin suggested this) ? If so, how can I make use of the simulated 5.1 through USB ?

Any other creative ideas ?

2. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    I'm afraid this is going to be the answer you didn't want to hear, but quite simply, you don't connect these two devices.
    It's possible but difficult, and pretty pointless. With those speakers, you'd probably be better off cutting the Pioneer out of the system and connecting the Bose to something else you're running.

The problem is that the speakers are active speakers, which have amplification built-in. They're designed as computer speakers, not for home cinema. Their inputs are USB (not compatible with the Pioneer at all) and analogue (compatible with the Pioneer, but it pretty much means the Pioneer isn't doing a whole lot more than being a very expensive switch)

What exactly are you trying to do with this system? What source(s) do you intend to use?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  3. anshul712

anshul712
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @audioenthusiast, thanks - I know its pretty pointless. I'm just trying to get something working with what I have at the moment (until I can save up for new 5.1 speakers).

I intend to use the AV receiver with my TV and over the wifi with my iMac.

Until I can save up for decent 5.1 speakers, I wanted to see if there's a relatively cheap way to get Any sound going through the system (even if just stereo).

4. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    ok. So how about plugging the TV's analogue output into the Bose's aux input? Does your TV have a L/R out? This will work for getting TV sound to the speakers.
    For the mac over wi-fi, do you mean that you're using the mac as a server and the Pioneer as a streamer? Or will the mac be in the same location as the Bose speakers?

Alternatively to try and put the Pioneer into the system right now... I see there's something that says pre-out L/R. But the other text says it's for the 'extra' two channels in 5.1.
    Do you know if they can be reassigned to fronts? Should get options in the setup/calibration sequence if you can.

If you can, then plug them into the analogue on the Bose, tell the Pioneer that those pre-outs are fronts, and then run the calibration. I think that'll work, and force the Pioneer into stereo mode as it'll only think it has two speakers. (the Bose will still do its fake 5.1 magic)

5. anshul712

anshul712
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ! let me try that tonight - I think I'll need a two phono RCA to one 3.5mm stereo jack lead right ?

And yes, I wanted to use the Pioneer as a streamer. I know this is probably making you cringe, but just budget restrictions until payday.

6. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Ok. If it doesn't work (I'm not terribly confident that you can reassign them as fronts) then see if it'll let you run calibration without fronts connected at all. Then just run the system in "all-channel stereo" mode.

There is no other output other than the one I mentioned, is there?

7. anshul712

anshul712
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Could do actually. Check the manual on the Bose and see if it specifies the Aux as a line input, or if you can use it on a headphone out. If it's designed with iPods etc. in mind, you should be ok.
    You'll need a 1/4" to 3.5mm stereo cable, or a 1/4" to 3.5mm adaptor plus a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable.

You'll then need to keep switching the cable that's plugged into the BOSE between the TV and AVR.

It might also be possible by muting the Pioneer so its audio goes via HDMI to TV, and then via analogue from TV to Bose. This means no changing of cables all the time, but the TV's analogue out has to work for external inputs. Not all of them do.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  9. anshul712

anshul712
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IT does work as a line input, its made for ipods/iphone etc and I use it with my iPhone frequently.