Question How to connect pc to AV Receiver for 5.1 (not hdmi)

Deleted member 186976

Reaction score
Hi there

I used to have a 1080p projector connected via hdmi to pc and av receiver (yamaha htr-2067) to get very good 5.1 sound and i was quite pleased with this.

However i decided to upgrade to a 4k projector (px727) and whilst the image is great i cannot use hdmi to connect this to the receiver because it will not passthrough 4k. I am stuck with a 1080p image if i want 5.1 sound.

My other options the way i see it is to go via the source. The only source at the moment where it is 4k material is my pc so i guess i connect my pc to the receiver somehow.

First i tried another hdmi from the pc to the receiver (1 hdmi slot on pc but i used a hdmi>DP adapter so that i could connect both the projector to the pc and the pc to the receiver) (Richersouunds guy also said try this)

result: didnt work projector didnt seem compatible (no signal) with the hdmi>dp adaptor.

Then I bought an optical cable (there is an optical input on the receiver) and connected one end to the receiver and the other end to the pc speakers slot (green) using the adaptor i got included with it. The pc detected that something was connected and it went through the realtek configuration menu etc and when i test it i get green bars playing but no sound at all. Not sure how to get the sound coming out on the receiver. Tried cycling through the 5 audio channels on the receiver but didnt get any sound out.

Yamaha HTR-2067 Owner's Manual (Page 18 of 68)

Im not sure what else i can do to connect pc to the receiver. There is analogue input connections on the receiver so i could see if i could buy some analogue cables for those?

If the problem is the optical connection then i did find a spdif out header on the motherboard (asus z97-k) so i could see if i could buy a backplate for that and that should give me a digital connection that i should be able to connect to the receiver.

More expensive option is to buy a sound card with optical out and connect to receiver that way.

Just find it odd that the receiver isnt playing through the optical cable i connected up? (ive only ever used hdmi with this receiver) Possibly it wont work me connecting it to the speakers or headphone outputs on the pc? Only to another dedicated digital port?

Any help is appreciated :)

A couple of things: The DP - HDMI adapter needs to be the correct type, as an HDMI output to DP input adapter is wired differently to a DP output to HDMI input adapter. Make sure your's is the right way around.

Is the green output on your PC optical as well as analogue? Not all are.

You can get USB to optical / spdif adapters for about £30. This should give you the multi channel audio that you need, but may not work with all material.

The usb optical / spdif adaptor sounds promising. Though an extra £30 for sound is annoying when my setup was fine before and the main reason its buggered now is new copyright compliance standards which scuppers a load of people who bought receivers without it.

I might go down to Richersounds tomorrow to have a chat regarding the receiver (who i bought it from)....the 4k passthrough advertised is pretty much useless....will see if i can do an exchange for one that actually will do it.

thanks for your help

Hrmm ill try other hdmi cables first. Ive been faffing about with the cables (soo many all over the place :( ) And i was getting 1440p and 4k very briefly via the receiver (so projector to receiver and then receiver to pc all hdmi). It displayed firstly 1080p (and that was recommended) but it let me go up to 4k and 1440p. However ....that only lasted a few minutes before screen flickered and went dark. Also it was only at 30hz (projector does 60hz native at least at both 4k and 1440p)hrmmm if the receiver can only push it through at 30hz then its not worth it... man what an amount of hassle lol

It seems crazy that a 4k projector and a 4k passthrough receiver cannot connect up to display 4k so im hoping maybe its the cables afterall. I can understand actual 4k content being copy protected but not the devices. (note i did not get the hdcp message on screen about missing hdcp compliance)

The HDMI 2.0 interface is required for 2160p/4K 60Hz.

The HDMI 1.4 interface can do 2160p/4K but only at 30Hz, there isn't enough bandwidth in the interface to handle it at 60Hz, 1080p or 1440p @ 60Hz are possible.

Bypassing the receiver with a DP to HDMI cable just for audio is good idea, though you may have gotten the wrong adapter.

Just to be clear your PC's video signal is going into the 4K system, the DP to HDMI cable is going into the receiver just for audio only not video.

Get a Displayport to HDMI cable from a shop (ask for converting Displayport into HDMI like this), plug DP end into your graphics card and the HDMI into your receiver.

Then go into the Windows settings\system\sound menu and set the Displayport output as the default audio source.

Alternatively via the old Windows control panel go into sound and select the DP connection, select set as default, right click on the DP connection and select configure speakers, set it to 5.1 output (which is PCM 5.1).

You really want PCM output for a PC, passing Dolby/DTS 5.1 audio is rarely supported by PC software with the exception of some media players.

That should work.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi, i will buy that cable you mentioned. What i did before was have both projector hdmi cable go to receiver and then from receiver to pc hdmi. worked pretty good had dd and dts in some games (witcher 3 etc).

When i have the hdmi(with dp adaptor) connect to pc and receiver ....it does nothing ...nothing to detect its there at all.

Im not sure it will work having 2 hdmi cables going to my graphics card (one to be a hdmi-DP cable) With the adaptor i dont even get another display detected (yamaha etc). I just think i would need a video audio splitter or something for that to work.

Ive also tried using the hdmi on the motherboard but no luck. Think its either/or cant use both.

In playback devices i have

Viewsonic PJ (projector)
Nvidia high definition audio

Speakers (my av receiver i thought)
Realtek High definition audio

Realtek digital output (this might be the spdif out thing on the mobo)
Realtek high definition audio

2 + 3 act like they are playing ie when i enable 2 and play youtube the green bars will be active but no sound.

Anyway had to set it back to projector audio for now. Will retest when the hdmi-dp cable arrives.

hrmm Richersounds...

So this is the unit i bought the YHT1840

Yamaha YHT1840 (Black)

If you examine the receiver its identical to my receiver except that it has been updated for HDCP2.2 it is now called HTR-2071 and you can see the HDCP wording on the receiver now.

sigh....quite a scummy thing to do sell something and promote it to being able to do X when it cannot and then swap out the dodgy receiver to an updated one hoping no one would notice..

I had a smiliar issue, the solution for me was to connect my monitor to the pc using display port and connect the av receiver using hdmi, both connections going to the graphics card and then it just needed configuring the nvidia audio as my default device and the monitor as muted

Hi Joe

I didnt buy the HTR 2067 separate. I bought it as the YHT-1810 from Richer Sounds. The information given by Richer Sonuds gives the impression that it has full 4k capability.

Yamaha Yht1810

Given the way HDCP has now went it seems my receiver is useless for 4k even though it was advertised that it could do it?

Thing is as well this was only September 2017 i bought this. HDCP 2.2 was known in the industry and would be needed prior to this. Do i need to be an audiophile and video expert to buy ? Thats what Richer Sounds are supposed to be no?

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
HDMI - is an ever changing landscape, whatever you purchase today can quickly lack a new feature which may arrive tomorrow.

Yamaha - seems pretty clear on what the system supports/does not support.

RS - less clear.

PC - as others are highlighting if you can configure a separate Audio Out (Optical or USB) or HDCP 1.4 compatible HDMI Output it ought to be possible to make your system work.

Joe

ok i kinda got it working with Gurgeh1's method. :thumbsup:

hdmi/DP cable from projector to pc
hdmi cable from pc to receiver

The only thing is it creates 2 displays. Is this adding to gpu processing overheads?

this thread on tomsguide was pretty informative as well but highlights the issues with pc<>receiver entertainment systems

How to output only sound through HDMI

EDIT: this is like a bloody Hydra...solve 1 problem and more pop up. This time the problem is the max refresh rate of the projector...

before it would do 60hz at 1440p and 4k no problem but when i have the receiver connected via hdmi for my audio it now has my max refresh rate at 30hz for 1440p. 4k res is still at 60hz thankfully but i dont play every game at 4k sadly...1440p is a good medium with max settings but not at 30hz :(

Last edited:
Hi Gurgeh so you have your receiver showing up as a second display?

I get 2 displays but set my main display as the projector and it seems to work with audio coming from the receiver however.......

It looks like my projector can only do 1440p at 30hz I tried it without having the receiver connected at all and it was still only 30hz. Unfortunately the difference between 30hz and 60hz is very very noticeable (laggy). Its disappointing because in the manual page 54 it lists all the resolutions (except for 2560 x 1440) and majority are 60hz though 2 of the 4k2k resolution list at 30hz but i dont know why they dont display 2560x1440 on the list.

Very disappointing because the image quality on the projecter is excellent. Very bright and great colours. Also in the spec sheet and numerous tech descriptions of this projector there is no listing of the refresh rates (only the headline blurb of 4k at 60hz) which it does yep)...sigh for what reason i do not know...would have saved me money. Its maddening that it will do a higher refresh rate at a higher resolution but a lower one at 1440p

I will have to send it back and pay the 10% restocking fee i will be charged.

Hi CJ,
Yes my av appears as a second display in the nvidia control panel, sorry to hear the projector is not working out

Can your Source not Output 3840x2160 as that would negate the projector having to rescale the input signal?

Joe

Im happy to report 2 pieces of great news.

1. Went into Nvidia panel and created a custom resolution at 1440p 60hz - sorted it no problem :)

2. Even better. Richer Sounds have said they will upgrade me to the newer av receiver package system for free! :clap: that should sort out the 4k display issues and no more dual hdmi cables shenanigans and fully hdcp 2.2 so im well chuffed with that. :)

Cant fault them they went above and beyond there.

1. - Ideally if you graphics card can manage it you want to Output a 1:1 pixel match from the Source to the Display and disable/bypass any scaling on the Display.

2. Great result.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom