Question How to connect new tv, devices, speakers

psyduck

Standard Member
Reaction score
I should start by saying I’m really not too clued up on av equipment, so might be missing something very obvious. I’m puzzled as to how to go about connecting everything without giving a lot of hassle.

My old setup was an onkyo tx sr 308, connected to 5.1 speakers, a 1080p tv, with inputs of a blu ray (never really used any more), virgin box and a gaming pc. Everything went through the amp and into the tv, and worked fine.

I’ve just upgraded to a new LG c9. I now need to connect the devices direct to the tv to get hdr/higher res/refresh rates. However, I’m not sure what to do about audio.

my initial expectation was to use ARC.That is working, but the pc will only output 2.1, and it sounds like the tv won’t pass through 5.1 or 7.1.
I could go optical out but that’s more hassle (have to swap input modes on the amp) and I don’t think it supports as high quality as HDMI?

so what is the best way to connect things nowadays? Do people just buy a new amp every time they get a new tv with higher specs, and route through that? Or am I just missing something?

thanks for any help

Your Onkyo receiver will not pass through any 4K signals. More important than that is that I don't think it is HDCP 2.2 capable. Although it looks as though you don't have any external devices that are 4K so all those will still give you the ability to connect all to the Onkyo. At the moment then you don't have any problems by running audio and video through the Onkyo.

As for connecting to the TV then it would be ARC which will give you Dolby Digital 5.1. If that proves problematic, as can sometimes happen, then the optical connection would also give you DD 5.1 from the TV.

thanks for the reply. Both the pc and virgin box can output 4K, and hdr, and the pc also does 1080/120hz which is what I’d rather use and I don’t think will go via the onkyo.
when I connect the pc direct to the tv though, windows only gives me the option of 2.1 (or Atmos) output though, not 5.1 which is greyed out.

You maybe able to have two connections from your PC depending on the specs. One will be to tv the other to avr. The later allows you to send full fat HD sound, it requires a little bit of fiddling but once set-up it should work nicely.

The other thing is the C9 should support Dolby digital 5.1 pass through but Pcs can be fickle and add ARC into the mix and it can be problematic.

Does the virgin box output anything higher than Dolby digital?. If not then hook up direct to the tv as per gibbsy post.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom