Question How to connect my XBOX ONE S to my TV / Soundbar

DHollaen

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope that some one can help me with my TV and my XBOX ONE S. So far, I'm pretty disappointed with the audio setup.

Frankly speaking, it seems that the engineers simply forgot that an UHD-player should support HD-sound, too.

But lets's start with my setup.

TV Sony 65XD8505

Yamaha YSP-4100 7.1 soundbar

XBOX ONE S

Current connections:

XBOX ONE S directly connected to TV via HDMI 1 (soundbar does only support HDMI1.4a)

XBOX ONE S connected via TOSLINK to soundbar

TV connected to soundbar via HDMI4 (ARC) or TOSLINK

So far, I haven't figured out on how to get 7.1-Sound from my XBOX ONE S playing (UHD-)Blurays to my soundbar (eg. DTS-HD 7.1). I already selected direct bitstream in the Bluray-Player's settings. But it seems that the direct bitstream does only work via HDMI but not TOSLINK. Is there any way to have the uncompressed soundtrack being played via TOSLINK to my soundbar? If not, whats's the sense of having an optical output if it can playback re-encoded Dolby/DTS 5.1 only?

BTW: The soundbar is not the bottleneck as it can play 7.1-sound from my old bluray player via digital out (TOSLINK or COAX) without problems.

Is there any good HDMI-AUDIO-Extractor which supports 60HZ-HDR10-HDCP2.0-7.1 which I could use to solve the issue? I would prefer a direct connections via TOSLINK, though.

I chose the XBOX because of the UHD-Bluray support but with re-encoded sound is pretty useless.

Kind regards,

Daniel

If you want lossless audio then HDMI is the only option as optical doesn’t have the bandwidth to support anything more than stereo PCM.

OK - well understood.

But is there any other solution than buying a new soundbar to enjoy UHD Blurays and 7.1-Sound with the XBOX One S? IS there any chance to use a HDMI-Splitter to use HDMI-VIDEO on the Sony TV and redirect HDMI-AUDI to the soundbar?

OK - well understood.

But is there any other solution than buying a new soundbar to enjoy UHD Blurays and 7.1-Sound with the XBOX One S? IS there any chance to use a HDMI-Splitter to use HDMI-VIDEO on the Sony TV and redirect HDMI-AUDI to the soundbar?

There are devices available but they aren’t cheap, there is no simple/cheap option available.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom