Answered How to connect my Logitech amp to my devices/TV?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by techno79, Jul 19, 2018.

1. techno79

techno79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've never had an amp before and always used the built in TV speakers until now (I'm not an audiophile so never felt the need). My TV has 3 x HDMI input sockets but I have 4 devices with HDMI. Two of my devices are plugged directly into the TV and then I have a 5 port HDMI switch in the 3rd socket. My remaining two devices are plugged into the HDMI switch.

I recently purchased a Logitech Z906 (Stereo Speakers 3D 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound, 1000W). I don't know much about amps but I consulted a friend and he said it's old system but it's good and the price made it a great buy so I pulled the trigger on it.

So my question is, the amp has a digital optical audio input and my TV has a digital optical audio output. If I connect the two together using an optical cable, will this mean that all my devices including the built in media player on the TV will then output full quality audio through to the amp?

Many thanks

2. Best Answer:
    Post #5 by mushii, Jul 19, 2018 (1 points)
  3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,318
    By connecting by optical you will be able to have Dolby Digital and DTS in 5.1, providing your TV can pass through 5.1 sound. Some older model TVs, my Panasonic amongst them, is only capable to passing 2.0 from external devices. If your TV does not have that restriction then you will be able to enjoy 5.1.

It's worth noting that not all TV broadcasts are in 5.1. BBC has a patchy service and ITV has no broadcasts in 5.1 at all. Both Ch4 and 5 are very good with 5.1 broadcasts as is the majority of Sky HD channels.

4. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Yes you can connect your TV to the Sub-woofer / control unit via an optical cable. Depending on what source and source material you have and what model of TV you have it should pass the encoded Dolby Digital / THX audio to your Z906 system where it will be decoded into the discrete 5.1 Audio tracks (presuming that the original source material is 5.1) or into stereo 2.0 / 2.1 assuming that the source is a stereo source.

5. techno79

techno79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Okay, thanks for the help. The TV is Panasonic TX-50CX700B. It's a relatively new 4k TV (purchased 2nd hand). I'm not using the TV for broadcast TV, using it for Netflix, on demand viewing, Amazon Prime Video, Chromecast and Xbox 360.

6. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Best Answer
    You should be fine.

7. techno79

techno79
    Standard Member

Products Owned: