1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to connect microphone into Home Theatre.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mcaw, Nov 25, 2003.

1. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't laugh, but I want to set up a karaoke for a Christmas party.
    Should be good on the big screen
    I don't have a mic input on my DVD player, or my amp.
    What will I need to connect a microphone into normal stereo input. Will it be some kind of pre-amp, or will a cheap mixer
    do the job
    Here

2. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll certainly need some sort of mixer as you'll have to mix the DVD audio and mic inputs into a single line input on the amp... I can't believe I'm replying to this. ;)

But you really want something with some reverb or echo to pad out the voices. If your Amp has a lot of DSP modes that might do.

Problem with that mixer is it's not stereo so the music will be mono as it has to come thru the mixer.

I'm ashamed to admit I have the perfect box to do it all with digital output too, but I've never used it for Karaoke and it cost about £200. It's out of production but you might find one secondhand. UA-100

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Speaking from experience perhaps....:rotfl: ;)

4. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys I should explain a little.
    My Setup is very cheap and cheerfull.
    My DVD player outputs ( SPDIF ) to combo amp/sub, which then feeds the other speakers. I also have a Freeview digital box with outputs to the amp/sub using its stereo inputs.
    There is no source selection, so if I have both DVD and Freeview box on, it mixes the sound together !!!!!!!
    I wan't to input a microphone into the amp/sub using the stereo input, and this should then be mixed with the SPDIF from the DVD.
    I think I will need to pre-amp the mic signal to line level, and also control its volume.