1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to connect Kiiro DVD/Amp/Speakers, Toshiba VTR, Toshiba Proj TV and Cable box

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jules8104, Jul 5, 2002.

1. jules8104

jules8104
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased the following:

- Kiiro DVD800 / Kiiro DAV5 bundle
    - Toshiba V852UK VTR
    - Toshiba 42WH18B Projection TV

I have also subscribed to NTL digital cable and thus have a Pace cable box.

I have connected the DVD 800 and DAV5 amp/speakers together with the optical PCM link.

Is there any way to feed the DVD 800 (and consequently the DAV5 amp/speakers) with input from the VTR or the cable box so that they can use the Dolby pro-logic or other decoders contained in that box?

If not, is it the case that I must purchase an additional decoder to take advantage of other sources?

Am I missing something? This doesn't check with my experiences in the US, where I fed all sources into my Harman Kardon and hence into the decoder, amps and speakers.

Thanks.

Jules :confused:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    If the amp has analogue inputs then connect those from the VTR and cable box (assuming they both have analogue outputs!) then you can use the Pro-logic decoder.

Preferably you would use all digital connections (optical or coaxial) but that depends on just how many digital inputs the amp has and if the cable boxes have digital outputs.

Don´t know the Kiiro brand:confused:

3. jules8104

jules8104
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase,

Thanks for the answer. The DVD has a Dolby decoder and it does not have any inputs as far as I can tell.

The speaker system which contains the amps also has a Dolby Digital decoder and accepts individual channel inputs, digital optical input and digital coax input plus analog line in.

I am now of the opinion that I misunderstood what the Kiiro DVD product (formerly Yelo - see http://www.kiiro.co.uk) was trying to achieve with this box. It seems that they just intended to offer a DVD with Dolby Digital plus the separate (but bundled) DAV5 speaker system (with amps and decoder as well). The bundle was reviewed highly at http://whatvideotv.co.uk

I now have some questions you (or someone) may be able to answer though:

1) Should I take the analog audio outputs from the VTR and plug them into the Speaker/amp decoder's analog line in?
    2) Would that produce Dolby Digital (and/or Dolby Prologic) output from the VCR to the speakers?
    3) Would I be better using a SCART at the VTR end to audio phono (RCA) plugs lead to do this? Note: There are two scarts on the VTR.
    4) How would the cable box fit into this scenario? That currently connects via a SCART to SCART from cable box to TV. How can I get the audio into the decoder/amp/speaker system from this?

Sorry for the questions but I feel like I really don't understand the UK home cinema stuff yet!

If all else fails, I could return the stuff above. I like the look of the Kenwood KRF-X9060D receiver, what do you think of that? I would still need to re-buy a DVD player and a set of speakers but I might consider getting 4 of the smaller Wharfdale Diamonds plus my Acoustic Energy middle speaker and old sub.

Cheers!

Jules :confused:

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

Taking the VTR and connecting it to the amp will give you Pro-Logic only.

To be honest I would ditch it and get an amp/receiver like the Kenwood you´ve mentioned (providing it has onboard Dolby Digital/DTS and Pro-Logic 2). The system you have now sounds far too limited in connectivity and sound quality wise you´ll get better performance going to seperates.

You dont have to spend a fortune on a dvd player to get good results. The Toshiba SD210 is available at www.leconcepts.com at a very good price and is a superb player.

What sort of budget would you have to spend on all the equipment??

Richer Sounds have some good offers on equipment at the moment and a very good sounding system can be put together for reasonable money.

5. jules8104

jules8104
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, one other thing:

The VTR has two SCARTs. The second is blue (?). Also, the cable box has to SCARTs (first labeled to TV and second labeled to VTR).

Does this help in figuring how to connect it all together?

Thanks.

Jules

6. jules8104

jules8104
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    The Kenwood looks good, has all the formats you´ll need and enough inputs 2 optical, 2 coaxial and 6 analogue.

Best demo it if you can. Also worth looking at the other amps/receivers they have there. Denon, Marantz etc.

8. jules8104

jules8104
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How is it that receivers like the Kenwood can get away with not having any SCART sockets when most of the other equipment around seems to need it?

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    No amp/receiver has a scart socket. You´ll have to make do with S-Video, Composite or Component (which would be best but not many TV´s have the inputs apart from a few Toshibas).

It all depends if you want to run everything through the receiver or just use it for audio and have the dvd etc connected direct to the tv.