How To Connect Home Cinema To TV.

Krazydiamond

Standard Member
Hi,

Im a newbie so be gentle.

I have just purchased a new TV - 37LG5000 - and want to connect a 3.1 home cinema system that I have to it so it will play the TV through it instead of the TV speakers. I can get it to work with my DVD player/ Wii by using a multi scart hub thingy which has RCA connectors on it. I was able to get the speakers to work with my old TV cos I connected my freeview box through the scart hub as well but the new TV has built in freeview and I dont really want to have to use the freeview box with the new TV.

The speakers connect with RCA (red/white) cable from the amp and the connections on the TV are:

HDMI x3
Audio In (RGB DVI)
Optical digital audio out
Component in (5 circle connections, 3 video and 2 audio)
Scart x2
AV in (red/white audio and yellow video)

Ive tried connecting the RCAs to all the audio sockets on the TV with no luck. Ive tried watching the TV through the DVD player but still get the DVD sound coming through instead of the TV programme.

So my question is can I connect this system to this TV via RCA cables or some sort of adapter or convertor, or do I need to buy a new cinema system with different connections and if so what connections should I be using to get it to work with the TV (HDMI, Optical, something other???)

Any help is much appreciated.

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Most Scart connections will carry audio in both directions. I'd get a Scart to Phono lead adapter like these, and connect the TV (say using the AV2 if you have the DVD/Sat on AV1) via Scart to the RCA audio in on your sound system. You just need to use the audio RCA plugs and ignore the composite video output plug.

Last edited:

Krazydiamond

Standard Member
Hi Mr Incredible, Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it should be an easy fix then. Ill pick up one of those leads and give it a go. I have a spare scart connection so no probs there. Thanks again!

Krazydiamond

Standard Member
I just tried something altho Im not sure if it would work the same.

I have an RCA scart converter - ie a scart plug that I can plug RCA cables into and then into a scart socket. I plugged this into the TV and the surround sound amp but still didnt work. Would this be the same as using a scart to phono cable or would I need to get an actual scart to phono cable for it to work?

Krazydiamond

Standard Member
Also Ive just had a look at those cables you suggested and it says this about them

"Please note this is a directional cable, signal direction from red, white and yellow phono outputs on a VCR, DVD player or media box etc to a scart socket on a TV."

Doesnt this mean that the audio wont travel from the TV to the speakers?

mentm

check with scart socket you have plugged it into normally one socket is in only and the other in and out, should be arrows next to the socket highlighting this. Also difficult to know if your phonos are taken from the input or the output.

Last edited:

mentm

from what you have said sounds like the input not the output. Need a scart to phono as the previous poster suggested not a phono to scart.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom