1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to connect HD TV for best picture quality...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by JackFlash, Mar 17, 2005.

1. JackFlash

JackFlash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I've got the Acer 26" LCD TV, which I think is great, but I can't work out how to get the very best picture from my Sky box. For my DVD player (progressive scan) I simply connect via scart cable to the TV and the picture is outstanding. But the connectors on the back of my Sky box are rather limited - it's either RF-out, S-video or scart - no bloomin' DVI which would be bleedin' marvellous! So which is best?

An added complication is that I've just taken delivery of a top-end media center PC, with TV tuner, remote control, DVI etc. Does anyone know the optimum way to connect all this kit together? Should I daisy chain the lot (i.e. sky box into DVD into PC into TV) or would the picture quality from all devices be better if each bit of kit connected separately into the TV (god knows there are enough connections on the back of the TV!)

Help!

2. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Pleased to hear you like your new tv :)

I would keep all leads seperate for max signal quality if you have enough inputs. The pc should have a decent graphics card from what you say so it should have dvi output to connect with. The skybox would be best through its scart(should be an rgb option in the skybox onscreen menu to select for you).

I didnt know your prog scan would work through its scart? As far as I am aware with my dvd players they all use component outs for prog scan or have I got it all wrong and I've read somewhere that component outs give you the best pics normally with prog scan (one of those scenarios is right and Im too tired to check sorry ;)) I have always used prog scan through comp outs and it works for me.

Have fun setting up....soon you'll have time to relax and watch something instead of playing.....or is the playing the best bit coz we are all kids at heart and thats the real reason why we keep buying new electronic stuff coz we like to play and we like loads of lights and buttons to push and lots and lots of cables to connect it all up with (Hmmmm does lego/mechano/battery robots and tanks/torches/1001 electronic kits to make useless alarms and really awful electric pianos) See the link????? NO? Oh well I guess thats just what I'm like then :) Never did grow up !! :hiya:

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I would say for the best picture on each source
    DVD - connect via component using prog scan
    Sky - RGB via scart
    PC - DVI

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Spot on Loz.

Progressive Scan doesn't work through Scart. This only works via Component or DVI/HDMI. If the TV has Component then use these. You'll have to activate Progressive Scan on your DVD player.

Use the DVI socket for your PC and Good Quality Scart to Ext1 on the TV for your Satellite. You'll only get DVI (In fact HDMI) on Satellite Boxes when Sky starts its HiDef broadcasts next year.

RF should be daisy-chained. Aerial to Sky to VHS or PC then to TV.

Jimmy

5. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

I was trying to say that :rolleyes: did I get lost when musing over that prog scan puzzle?? Oh well sorry if I did...Age is a terrible thing :boring:

If its not age I must be tired coz Loz and Jimsan have just said what I thought I had already said :clap: Maybe I should read back what I put in future ;)