1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to connect guitar to AV Receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nic H, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Nic H

Nic H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, does anyone know if its possible and tell me what I need to connect an electro-acoustic guitar to my AV receiver.
    Thanks

2. mr_seanstanley

mr_seanstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi there,
    I've done this and have to say it does work quite well. I used an effects processor (digitech rp100.) with a headphone out to connect up. This set me back about $70, does effects too, some very naff and some ok! Im sure there will be a cheaper alternative out there that will come with a headphone/line out. Alternatively a guitar amp with a line out. A Marshall mini-amp has a headphone out, looks cool and will run off batteries. You can get them new from about $40.
    Hope this helps.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You need to be careful when doing this - using a processor such as that described by mr_seanstanley is essential (there are other things such as the Line6 Pod or Behringer equivalent available). Guitar outputs and amps are usually designed to run way into distortion whilst hifi equipment certainly isn't. :)

4. Nic H

Nic H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the info guys. Had a look at the Line6 Pod. Might be going for that one. It is a bit pricey though.

5. carl1234

carl1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i used an electric guitar by using a phono to headphone jack plug, I just pluged heaphone jack into guitar and phono connecters to a spare input. used dolby pro logic 2 music mode with it too.