• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to connect DVD player with scart to LG B8?

Glen1977

Hello me again... for those who know the B8, do I simply need to buy a scart to HDMI converter to get my dvd player working on my B8? Should I presume a 4K HDMI would be of no use? Can anyone recommend the best converter? I know I may well be told just to buy a cheap blu ray player but I've looked and decent ones are still £100+ and after spending out on this OLED plus Sky Q upgrades I'm not in a position at the moment to even spend £100. So all help greatly appreciated as always!

SeeMoreDigital

All the (composite video) SCART to HDMI converters offer really poor quality as they're all based around much the same chip-sets.

If all you're after at the moment is a DVD 'only' player with an HDMI output, I'm sure somebody will be selling one somewhere for peanuts...

shotokan101

Banned
You can get a cheap non 4k bluray player for under 50 and a 4k for 99 ?

Glen1977

Ah I see, so would the quality be worse than what it would have been on my 10 year old 40” Samsung? To be honest as a family we wouldn’t really watch many dvd’s which is another reason I wouldn’t want to buy a brand new one or a Blu Ray. Especially as there’s so much content between Sky, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, I don’t see the point in buying Blu rays too although I understand they may be very good image quality. So best bet to buy a cheap DVD player that has a hdmi port?

Glen1977

Well you’ve certainly shut me up! Ok cool I’ll probably go with one of those as I did look at some scart to hdmi converters and with the hdmi cable it would have been around £40.

SeeMoreDigital

...I did look at some scart to hdmi converters and with the hdmi cable it would have been around £40.
Indeed... And the more expensive products perform no better than the cheaper products, because (as I mentioned earlier) they all have much the same chip-sets ;)

Glen1977

Ok so would there be any difference in quality from playing a standard DVD in the UHD Blu Ray or the DVD player as shown on that link for Richer Sounds? Don’t want to spend £99 if the £34 player gives the same result! I just don’t know if the UHD would upscale my standard dvd’s or not? I’m not likely to buy any Blu rays as having Sky, Netflix and Amazon Prime amongst others there’s no real need to.

shotokan101

Banned
TV should upscale for you for non 4k input streams such as a dvd player

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom