• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question How to connect Dolby Atmos enabled speakers to Arcam AVR550 and Arcam P7 amps?

Sab

Hi.

I would like to connect two pairs of Kef R50 Dolby Atmos enabled speakers to an Arcam AVR 550 and P7 power amp. At the moment the P7 ( a 7 channel power amp) is driving 5 channels. This means that both AVR 550 and P7 will have to drive a pair of R50 speakers each.

How do I connect the speakers to the amps please?

D

Deleted member 39241

Hi, there are some limitations with the amp assign options on the Arcam.

How many base layer speakers do you have?

Sab

Hi.

I am not sure I understand your question. My two pairs of Kef R50 will go on top of the the front left and right speakers, and the other pair on the rear left and right speakers.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The assignments depend upon whether you've a 5.1 or 7.1 floor speaker layout that would result in either a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.4 speaker configuration.

Rambles wishes to know whether your base floor layout incorporates just surrounds or surrounds plus back surrounds (5.1 or 7.1)?

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I run a similar same set up (AVR390 and a P7 in 5.1.4 layout, but with ceiling Atmos speakers). I'll need to check tomorrow exactly what the connections are, but I have one pair of height speakers powered by the '390 and the LCR, surrounds and one pair of heights from the P7.

I think the only difference with your set up will be that you will select Dolby Atmos up-firing (or whatever they are called in the menu) speakers.

D

Deleted member 39241

You will need to adjust the speaker set up menu to indicate that you have both height 1 and height 2 speakers as Dolby enabled. And set that you are using amps 6 and 7 for height speakers.

You have to power the height 2 speakers from the P7. Connect the height 2 pre-outs of the Arcam to 2 inputs of the P7.

The remaining 7 speakers can be powered as you wish, either connect them to the Arcam 550 speaker terminals, or run cables from the corresponding pre-outs to the P7 and connect them to the P7.

Sab

Thanks Rambles.

As I understand, there are height 1 left and right speaker terminals on the AVR 550. I should connect these height 1 terminals to the front Dolby Atmos speakers. The height 2 preamp outputs should be connected the corresponding P7 analogue inputs . The P7 will drive the rear Dolby Atmos speakers.

Is this correct please?

Sab

Hi.

Do the Kef R50s take bare wire only? My chord cable with Ohmic connectors will not fit in to the speakers.

D

Deleted member 39241

I use banana plugs with mine. From memory, I think there are caps that you need to remove from the speaker connections first.

gibbsy

I have bare wired my R50s, because of their angled binding posts I'm not too fussy on using banana plugs but they can certainly be used.

Sab

Hi guys.

I have tried to run Dirac using the Arcam 550 using the latest version on Arcam's website. However, I am unsure how to set the volume levels for each speaker correctly. I have an XTZ microphone.

As a result, the audio is poor quality and I am unhappy with the results. It should sound much better.

Thanks in advance for your help.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi guys.

I have tried to run Dirac using the Arcam 550 using the latest version on Arcam's website. However, I am unsure how to set the volume levels for each speaker correctly. I have an XTZ microphone.

As a result, the audio is poor quality and I am unhappy with the results. It should sound much better.

I believe that the DIRAC Live calibration takes care of the speaker levels and distances. You only need to set these settings manually if not using the DIRAC calibration.

From the manual:
If Dirac Live for Arcam is used, these settings will also be greyed out as they are autoset by Dirac

Dirac Live for Arcam

Here is a proprietary automatic loudspeaker setup function built into your Receiver from Dirac Reasearch. Using a PC/MAC based application, this attempts to set all the essential speaker settings for all the speakers in your system. It also calculates room equalisation (Room EQ) lter values to remove some of the worst e ects of resonant frequencies in the listening room.

Your Receiver package is supplied with a calibration microphone, which should be inserted into the microphone input of the supplied USB sound card and then into a USB socket on a PC or MAC connected

to the same network as the Receiver and positioned
as directed by the Dirac Live for Arcam PC/MAC application. is microphone picks up the special calibration tones generated by the speakers when Dirac Live for Arcam application is run. e Receiver then analyses the signal and computes:​

• < speaker type,

• < speaker distance,

• < speaker level,

• < problem resonant frequencies in the room which

need control by ltering.

To help the system be as accurate as possible when performing Dirac Live for Arcam setup, there are a few guidance rules that should be followed:
  • < Minimise any background sounds in the listening room and other nearby rooms.

• < Close all windows and doors in the listening room.

• < Turn o all fans including air-conditioning systems.

• < Mounting the microphone on a tripod or similar.

• < Position the set up microphone pointing upwards at

roughly head height in the normal listening position. It is not necessary to point the microphone directly at the speaker generating the test tone. (It helps if you are able to position the microphone exactly where your head would normally be for listening, with the microphone in direct unobstructed view of all speakers.)

• < If your system includes an active subwoofer, start by setting its output level / gain control to a value roughly matching the front speakers.

When activated, a calibration tone is played through each channel of the Receiver in turn, including the subwoofer channel. e calibration tone cycles round each of the speakers multiple times as the di erent parameters are calculated. If you do not have a full 7.1 speaker (on the “ oor”) con guration there will be periods of silence between some speaker channels. Follow the ‘progress’ information on your PC/MAC.

By default, Room EQ is not applied to any of the source inputs. You should enable Room EQ on inputs you think bene t from this feature, as required, by listening when playing typical source material through each input. A er being calculated, this is enabled from within the Input Con g menu.

While room equalisation can help to reduce problems with listening room acoustics, it is usually far better to try to solve these problems with the room directly. Proper loudspeaker positioning, acoustic wall treatments and moving the listening position away from walls should produce far better results overall. However it may be di cult to do this in a home environment, so Room EQ is your next best choice.

Problems

We advise you to look over the reported measurements on the screen following Auto Speaker Setup for any obviously incorrect results, in particular to ensure the reported speakers match your con guration and that the speaker distances to the listening position appear look roughly correct. If the results are not what you expected re-run Auto Speaker Setup.

e Auto Speaker Setup function is normally quite accurate but occasionally false results can be generated. Problems may be as a result of:

< external sounds or rumbling/handling noises picked up by the microphone

< sound re ections o hard surfaces (e.g. windows or walls) close to the listening position,

< very strong acoustic resonances within the room,

< obstacles (such as a sofa) between speakers and the

microphone.

If you are still experiencing di culties or you wish to have the most accurate results for ultimate surround performance, we recommend using the manual method of establishing speaker distances and levels.​

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39241

Hi guys.

I am not familiar with the XTZ microphone, does it have a calibration file, if so, is it loaded into the Dirac software okay?

The Arcam AVR550 is compatible with Dirac V2 which I find to be better in my room than Dirac V1, the download is here:

Download Software - Dirac

It is also worth manually calibrating the Arcam for when Dirac is not engaged using an SPL meter, or your microphone and the SPL function of REW, and measuring the speaker distances and entering them manually. You can then switch Dirac on and off for comparison.

Sab

Hi guys.

Sorry for my last post as it was done in a hurry during lunch time.

What I mean is what do I do in the screen below that appears in Dirac V2 software?
I have no clue.

upload_2019-4-9_19-53-23.png

D

Deleted member 39241

You click on the 'play' button below each speaker to have it play a test tone, then check that all of the speakers are at a similar volume.

I generally find that mic gain at 100% and Master volume around 45% works best for my set-up.

Sab

You click on the 'play' button below each speaker to have it play a test tone, then check that all of the speakers are at a similar volume

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how would I know if all of the speakers are at a similar volume? Are there any figures on the screen to show this?

D

Deleted member 39241

Yes, when you click the 'play' button under a speaker, a test tone will play and the volume meter will indicate the db level of the speaker. The idea is to get them all in the green zone. It should become apparent when you get going.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom