1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to connect DAB tuner

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Tracey, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a Pure Digital DRX702 but as I've never even seen a DAB tuner before I just wanted to know how it's connected and what type of aerial I need. I presume it doesn't use a normal FM aerial? Do I just use a digital input on my amp to connect it? I have an AVR100 at the moment but when I upgerade to an AV8/P7 I'll need a tuner.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not consider using a freeview TV box?- Nokia 221T or Netgem.. These have digital out, and freeview radio is higher audio quality than DAB... and you'll have digital TV to boot!

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an old STB from my ITV digital days, I'm eventually getting Sky when I move into my new house but I listen to some local FM stations so thought getting a combined DAB/FM/AM tuner is the best of both worlds.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    DAB Tuners prefer a dipole config aerial (a crude one will be supplied) but will often work pretty well connected to an FM type. You will need an adaptor to fit to the "t" type connector on the back of DAB's. Connection is otherwise standard RCA/Coax/Tos although one of the Pure's carries balanced XLR outputs as well. It could be worth considering the set boxes as you will neatly sidestep any potential problems with a possible move to L-band.
    Ed

5. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a F-type connector (at least that's what they told me in the shop) to connect an FM aerial to my Pure Digital DRX701ES. It works a treat and hasn't let me down (yet), unlike my FM tuner.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have an Arcam Alpha 10 DAB tuner. This has a 50ohm BNC connector for its aerial input. I have a direct run of coax from the DAB aerial on the roof to the tuner and it receives all stations on the available multiplex at full signal strength, around 60 stations last check.

I think the aerial is made by Antiference, and you can buy if from the Videologic website for about £25. Well worth it.