how to connect a vhs player with scart to a flatscreen tv?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by av2016, Apr 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. av2016

av2016
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm hoping to digitise my vhs collection an would like to hook up my vhs player to my Sony Bravia. My Vhs only has scart outputs and I tried to connect it to the red, yellow and white input on my TV but without result. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks a million

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    When you say digitise, do you mean using the hard drive feature on the TV to record from the analogue input?

In which case, you will be disappointed, as the TV will not do this. It can only record from its internal tuner.

If you cannot see a picture, please check you have the correct scart lead. There are input and output types and they are not interchangeable

3. av2016

av2016
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If we forget about the digitising for now and just concentrate on the playing back of the vhs tapes, is there anything I'm not doing correctly?

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    If you're using a Scart to 3 RCA (Phono) plugs lead into the TV as "noiseboy72" states these leads are directional so presuming you have the correct lead (or a switched lead with the switch set to "Out") have you selected whatever input you have it plugged into with the TV's remote?

5. av2016

av2016
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did all of the above, but to no avail. thought it might be the player. However, tried a differemt method and managed to run it through a handycam and connected the handycam to my mac. It's all working beautifully! Thanks all.

6. chipray

chipray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why not use the SCART connector on the Sony TV? Obvious, I know, but both my flat screen Sony TVs have a SCART connector, as do the latest models.