1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to connect a second display

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by noidea, Jun 16, 2004.

1. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I was hoping someone could help me with a connection set-up I'm hoping to achieve.

I have on order a hitachi pd5200 plasma tv. This has one RGB Scart input and 2x component iputs.
    I have a telewest cable box with RGB scart output
    I have a JVC DRM10 dvd recorder with RGB scart and component outputs and s-video scart input.

What I was hoping to do was to hook up a small lcd in the kitchen so I wouldn't miss anything if I made a rare trip there..

Before factoring in my kitchen screen, I was thinking that I'd connect the cable box scart output to the plasma scart input, the dvd component output to the plasma component input and the cable box scart output to the dvd recorder's scart input (I think this means that I'd only get s-video quality on recordings but hey ho)

Can I use the dvd players scart output to the kitchen screen to show the signal from the cable box it is receiving in on its s-video scart input? Will this effect the direct connection between the cable box and the plasma screen? And will the quality on the kitchen screen be any good given that it is "second hand" (ie the signal is going through the dvd recorder)? :lease:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    noidea

I'd suggest you get your kit in front of you along with a selection of cables and try out a few options before deciding on what's going to actually (not theoretically) work best for you.

I'd start with Digibox SCART RGB out to DVR SCART RGB In - then DVR SCART RGB out (or YUV Component) to Plasma.

Assuming your Plasma is your primary display and the much bigger image size you what to be assured that always routing the Digibox via the DVR wont hammer your picture quality.

Assuming the Digibox to DVR to Plasma works for you I suspect your DVR will also be outputting on S-Video at the same time as SCART RGB or YUV - if this is so I'd use S-Video out to your kitchen LCD.

As above I'd get the Plasma in and set up and have the LCD in the same room with a bunch of cables and have a play to 'see' what actually works best for you before you start to do a final 'install'.

Best regards

Joe

3. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    thanks Joe
    unfortunately I don't have RGB in on my dvd recorder. I obviously want the best cable picture on my screen which is why i thought i'd link the cable box directly to the screen and sacrifice recording quality.

How about, i have RGB out on cable box going to a splitter - one to screen and one to recorder via a rgb to svideo converter? I am not bothered about watching cable through the recorder, but just wondered if i link it up to the recorder in order to record, whether that means that any other inputs into the recorder, such as vcr, will be able to show on the screen.

with all the add ons, maybe it will be cheaper to buy a new dvd recorder with rgb input..

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    noidea

Apologies didn't read your first post correctly.

Like you I have a DVR with S-Video In and RGB out - what pillock decided that was a good design!!!

I use and supply the JS Technology RGB2S-Video converter to enable RGB pass through to my TV and converted S-Video to my recorder - which works very well.

Does your DVR have an S-Video 'Out' in addition to the YUV 'Out' - and are they both active; if yes then YUV to the Plasma and S-Video to the LCD could work for you.

SCART RGB splitters are very rare - see active threads!

Best regards

Joe

5. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Thanks Joe that sounds perfect :thumbsup: