1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Connect a Scaler to PWD8?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nheather, Sep 17, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Rather than buy a PHD8 I'm considering spending the money on a PWD8 and a scaler (Lumagen Vision DVI or iScan HD+).

What I'm not clear, whether it will be able to connect this as I wish.

For now, my inputs are

Sky+ - SCART RGB
    DVD - SCART RGB

I may upgrade the DVD to something better and this is likely to have a component output.

I gather its best to do 1:1 pixel mapping and understand that this native resolution 1024x768@50Hz is only supported on the panel's VGA input.

Question 1
    ========
    Can I connect these to the scaler without any additional bits of kit (other than special leads).

Question 2
    ========
    Can these scalers produce a 1024x768@50Hz VGA without any additional bits of kit (other than special leads). In particular, I notice that the lumagen only has DVI out.

Question 3
    ========
    Is this the best output to use or would you recommend something else.

Thanks for the help,

Nigel

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Nigel,

Lumagen has DVI-I out. dvi-i is a connector that has analogue and digital video outputs. So....You can use a DVI-I to "whatever" lead to get you analogue to the plasma....or you can ask for an DVI-I to VGA adaptor to get VGA TO VGA or VGA ot 5bnc to the plasma from the scaler.

To get 1024X768@50 out of a Lumagen scaler requires solely the ability to read English. Nothing extra except the leads you talked about.

3: I'd try native rest to start. If things didnt work as you want look to 720p

Gordon

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Second attempt to reply - the first, which took ages to compose was lost due to a server time-out error!

The RGB outputs can be sent via RGBs cables to either scaler - cables widely available from scaler retailers.

1:1 will work at 50 Hz over VGA analogue output but the jury is still out on the HDMI or DVI options. I haven't tried a PWD8 with a DVI or HDMI board and am still waiting for my PHD8 to arrive. It is looking like DVI will work and HDMI may not but this is all unproven at the moment.

The Lumagen doesn't only have DVI out. The DVI socket can output analogue and you can get a BNC output board.