How to connect a PS3 to VGA (YUV)?

rauer

I don't have an HD player yet, but the finally released PS3 seems a tempting option. However, I'm not sure what would be the best way to connect it to my plasma (Panasonic PHD8). I don't currently have an HDMI or DVI blade, but only the BNC component blade and naturally the built-in VGA connector. As the HDMI blade costs a certain amount and the concensus seems to be that Panasonic's component inputs are superior to its optional HDMI input, I'd prefer to be able to connect the eventually bought HD player to either the BNC component or VGA input.

- Is there or will there be a cable set to connect to VGA using YUV component video? I know there are some RCA component cable sets available.

- Or would it be wiser after all to invest in the HDMI blade considering the possible future software flags enforcing video down-conversion?

Cheers, :hiya:

(Off topic: BTW, I originally accidentally got the BNC component board instead of the RCA board and boy, has it given me trouble! It seems cables with BNC connectors are nowhere to be found locally and the adapters are rather clumsy.)

rauer

It seems gizlaroc prefers PS3's HDMI output over the component output with a Panny plasma, so I guess that's the way to go.

rauer

I'll continue this old thread of mine. I have now ordered the 60GB PS3 version. Now I wonder if it would be better to use the HDMI or get a HDFury HDMI-to-VGA converter and use the highly valued analog-in of my Panny PHD8 panel. Has anyone compared these inputs?

UKseless1

I have a PWD8 and I drag everything in via component into an Amp and then onto the VGA in the screen. I don't have a HDMI board either so have never compared. I also considered picking one up but as my panel is not HD ready I thought the outlay would be a waste. Of course the VGA input is still excellent. I'm very pleased with the results from the PS3 and Sky HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom