how to connect a 3d bd player to pc?

sinistro

I have a 3d ready projector which means I have to play 3d movies over my pc and cant use my 3d bd player direct with it but I wonder how I can connect my 3d bd player to my pc so I can use my 3d bd's I got and watch it on the big screen without buying a bd player unit for my pc extra. ( they are expensive and the software for it also ).

So what do I need to connect my 3d bd player to my pc to watch 3d movies with steroscopic player on my 3d ready projector.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
All 3D formats are not alike and not necessarily compatible with all 3D equipment.

Post the model numbers of the projector and BD player , and the model of the video card within the PC.

sinistro

Proyector is a lg pa72g which does 3d with a resolution of 1024x768 and 120Hz
My 3d bd player is a samsung bd-d6900 and I got a asus gtx 550 ti as graphic but thats flexible as I am still looking what parts I need to get a nice htcp/multimedia-light gaming pc.

I guess I need some kind of tv capture card or something?

edit: I got 3d more or less running through my pc with stereoscop player with my current asus m2n-sli de luxe amd phenom 9850, 4 gb ram 667 wich runs on 3 and a bit atm on windows 7 with this asus gtx 550 ti but yesterday it crashed hard again as I think that mobo is on its last legs.

So I am looking to build a complete new build with the only part I think I might use the graphic card.

Last edited:

sinistro

Sorry that it is a bit confusing but english aint my first language so I might use the wrong words here and there.

I try again :)

I play at this moment only 3d mkv's on my pc to get the 3d on my projector as I cant use the samsung 3d bd player direct on it.
The projector only activates 3d with the resolucion of 1024x768 and 120Hz and the bd player does not have that resolucion and hz so 3d works with a pc, stereoscopic player and the configuracion of the graphic card set on 1024x768 and 120Hz. This is with, I think all 3d ready projectors. There is one option more and that is the optoma 3d-xl but I try to find out if and how it is possible with a pc.

So I want to connect my 3d bd`player running original 3d bd disks to my pc and the pc transforms the image to 1024x768 at 120Hz so that the projector accepts the 3d.

Last edited:

moonbeam120

@sinistro. Are you trying to link a stand alone 3D BR player to your PC, then output to your projector?

If so, this is not easily achieved and would run into HDCP DRM protection issues.

The cheapest and easiest option would be to install a BR drive in your PC and use software like PowerDVD mentioned by xyzbird.

Also are you sure the projector you refer too is 3D compatible :confused:

moon.

sinistro

Yes I try to link my stand alone Br player to my pc and then output it to my projector.

Why should this have any DRM protection issues? As I can have the original bluray, I can watch it on my tv so why not on my projector?

And yes the lg led projector pa72g accepts 3 but only on the 1024x768 resolution and with 120Hz. Bought this projector on amazon a while ago in offer for 400 euro (335-340 pounds ) and I use the benq 3d glasses ( model d3).

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Its highly unlikely that your projector will play the 3D format that is most common for blu ray.

See here ,

What Does "3D Ready" Mean?

Why should this have any DRM protection issues? As I can have the original bluray, I can watch it on my tv so why not on my projector?

HDMI comes with a form of DRM called HDCP , Every single item in the playback chain needs to be HDCP compliant for Blu rays to work , that means in your case ,

The BD player itself ,
The software used to play the title ,

Your PC graphics card ( Incidentally , and contrary to what was posted earlier , every PC has a graphics card , it may be integrated in the motherboard or onto the CPU , but it needs to be there nonetheless ) ,

And the Display device , in this case your projector.

Your projector should be HDCP compliant , but by the looks of things the only 3D format it can handle is the type found in games , ( Frame sequential ) and not the type found on Blu ray discs ( Frame Packing)

Last edited:

moonbeam120

@sinistro. To do what you would like to do requires a capture card to be installed in your PC and connected to your BR player. It is not legal in most of europe for a capture card to be HDCP compliant and you would find it almost impossible to find one.

There are ways to circumvent this but it cannot be discussed on this forum for legal reasons and the cost is high.

How far away from your projector is your BR player? If it is within 15 metres you could use a HDMI splitter and connect a longer HDMI lead to the projector (around 70 - 90 euros for splitter and cable).

Do some research on google there are solutions available to you it is just a question of cost and practicality.

moon.

sinistro

@Andy1249, connecting a 3d bd-player wont work as it needs page-flip software to get the 3d working but it would work with a optoma 3d xl between the db-player and the projector.

@moonbeam120, thx for the HDCP compliant explanation as I had no idea about that, will check on this a bit more.
I got a hdmi hub 5x1 (ps3, popcorn v8, bd-player, pc )connected and this works great and the 3d is no must, to see a movie on 84'' beats the hell out of a 47'' tv already anough :)

moonbeam120

@moonbeam120, thx for the HDCP compliant explanation as I had no idea about that, will check on this a bit more.
I got a hdmi hub 5x1 (ps3, popcorn v8, bd-player, pc )connected and this works great and the 3d is no must, to see a movie on 84'' beats the hell out of a 47'' tv already anough :)

@sinistro Yeh know what you mean about screen size I've got a great TV (see my sig) but I'm seriously thinking about getting a projector as well.

:thumbsup:

moon.

sinistro

Yesterday I got a price from a shop of a pc they can build for me. The guy says I need a very powerfull cpu for 3d so he talks about a amd fx-8120 and the lot comes 620 euros.
Thats the case, ram ( 2x4gb 1600ddr3), bd drive, all but a graphic card as I got an asus gtx 550 ti what I want to use.

Aint this cpu overkill?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Yesterday I got a price from a shop of a pc they can build for me. The guy says I need a very powerfull cpu for 3d so he talks about a amd fx-8120 and the lot comes 620 euros.
Thats the case, ram ( 2x4gb 1600ddr3), bd drive, all but a graphic card as I got an asus gtx 550 ti what I want to use.

Aint this cpu overkill?

For the application you have in mind, taking bd 3d at [email protected] x2 and converting to [email protected] x 2 on the fly as it were, that needs a massive amount of CPU power!
To be honest, the results won't be that great, there will almost certainly be a lot of judder just because of the conversion.

That is too much money to be spending in order to keep using what is essentially an obsolete projector. It's a much better idea to put that cash towards a projector that accepts BD 3D natively don't you think?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD13...id=1368001141&sr=8-7&keywords=1080p+projector

Last edited:

sinistro

Yes you are right but it will be a new pc for me as my m2n sli-phenom 9850 is on its last legs.

I mean I can play games then on it also properly.

AMD FX Series FX-8320 3.5Ghz 8X
Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
Noctua NH-U9B SE2
Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 DDR3 1600 8GB 2x4GB CL9 LP
WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA3 64MB
Cooler Master Centurion 5 II
Cooler Master GX 750W V2
Liteon iHOS104 Lector Blu Ray + DVD SATA OEM
and I gor a asus gtx 550 ti already

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom