1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to connect 3802 to arcam a85 for av+2 chan sterio please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mick23, Aug 15, 2002.

Tags:
  1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i wish to use my 3802 for av duties only, just purchased arcam a85 integrated amp, advise please, i take it pre out fronts from 3802 to ?????? (tape loop on arcam) or (av input on arcam)????arcam only has pre ins fpr a power amp, so front speakers connect to a85, cd player to a85, just not sure on this as i do not want the constant adjusting of both denon and arcam volume controls with av use, advise please thanks all

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Form memory, I think some Arcam amps have a fixed gain input. This is so that volume adjustment on the arcam is unnecessary (I know my old Alpha 9 had an internal switch, effectively turning it into a power amp for AV use). Otherwise, like you said, hook the A85's AV input to the Denon's Front Outputs. Connect the CD player to the Arcam, and the front speakers. Connect everything else to the Denon. You should be able to read the db rating on the A85 when the Arcam is producing the same level as the Denon. In this fashion you can re-adjust accurately the volume to align with the Denon after listening to a CD. I don't know of a way to adjust both volumes automatically. Possibly a Macro program on your Denon's remote?

Actually, now that I think on it, there maybe more than one display setting on the A85, some not showing the actual db number. I'm sure you'll figure the display out.

I know it is a bit of a cumbersome method, but I cant think of any easier options

Russell

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Just to add to russraff, you can set one of the inputs on the A85 to fixed gain, which you should feed your front pre-outs on the 3802 into.

This means that you will get very good cd playback, with independant volume control on the A85 for it, and also no hassle with changing 2 volume controls when using the 3802 also.

Of course when you get your 6ch input card for the A85 and add the 3ch P85 you will be able to have 5 channels of top amplification and just use the 3802 as a processor and rear surround amp.

:)

4. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My recommendation:

[ Ignore the 'preamp out' and 'power amp in' connections of the A85. They're not flexible enough for your needs. ]

1) Put all your stereo analog inputs directly into the A85.

2) Put the 3802 in the Arcam's Tape1/Processor loop by connecting the tape1/proc output of the A85 into any stereo analog input of the Denon and the take the FL/FR pre-outs of the Denon into the A85 tape1/proc input.

3) Go into the A85's menu and change the tape loop setting from tape to proc at either 0dB or if you get a bit of noise -5dB or -10dB. This way you get a fixed volume from the A85 when you switch to tape1/proc input.

4) Balance all the channel levels on the Denon with this setting on the A85 using an SPL meter or the Mark I earhole. You'll only need to do this once.

Now once you switch the Arcam to proc input it will using the assigned volume level for this input and when you switch back it'll go back to whatever volume setting you were using before.

Also you can choose to send any of the analog inputs to the Denon for prologic etc. processing just by selecting the input on the Arcam and switching to proc input. (It works just like a 'tape monitor' function.) If you're just listening in stereo you don't need the Denon switched on, just make sure that the tape1/proc input is off.

Hope this helps,

Charles.

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i connected front speakers to arcam diva a85, pre out fronts to tape loop 1/proc, on 3802 cdr/tape a/log to tape loop 1, not sure how to know for sure if i am in proc mode, so what do i do select(cdr/tape on 3802) play vcr etc ,cannot get anything from front speakers, thanks all

6. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm, I'm not quite sure where your problem lies here's an expansion of what I meant before in case I wasn't clear.

I think you've done the right connections. Just to make sure:

A85 "PROC/TAPE1 audio output" to AVR3802 "<any> audio in"
    and
    AVR3802 "Pre-out front left/right" to A85 "PROC/TAPE1 audio input".

Connect stereo analog inputs to the A85 and other inputs (digital coax/optical or 6ch. in) to the AVR3802.

To listen to a digital source select that input on the AVR3802 and make sure that the tape monitor/processor input is selected on the A85.

To listen to analog sources in stereo select the relevant input on the A85 and make sure that the tape monitor/processor input is deselected. (It acts as a toggle input overriding the currently selected input.)

To listen to analog sources in pro-logic or whatever select the relevant input on the A85 and make sure that the tape monitor/processor input *is* selected. Make sure that the chosen input for the A85 is selected on the AVR3802 and prologic is switched on. (The A85 then sends the selected stereo input to the AVR3802 on the A85 tape1/proc out -> AVR3802 <any> audio in line. The AVR3802 then does it's magic processing and sends the processed/pre-amped front channel signals back to the A85 and the front speakers via the AVR3802 pre-out fronts -> A85 tape1/proc in.)

To select "Processor Mode" for the Tape1/Processor input on the A85 do the following:

Press select 4? times until the following appears in the display panel:

Code:
    Customize Settings
    >
    Rotate volume (or press Vol+) until the following appears:

Code:
    Customize Settings
    Processor Mode
    Press select.

Rotate the volume knob (or press Vol+) until the following appears:

Code:
    Customize Settings
    Processor -10dB
    (or whatever fixed volume you choose.)

Press enter twice to exit from the settings menu.

When the tape monitor is selected, instead of 'Tape', in the display you should see 'Proc Fixed' and the volume should show the level you've just fixed in the settings.

Does this help?

Charles.

7. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks guys will have a bash at that later,

8. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    all ok, works well but as cd is connected to a85, and has only a dig-coax only, 3802 dig coax occupied by dvd player (player has only coax not opt) sub connected at low level only , this means no sub with cd music replay , or any way out of this thanks again

9. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does your sub have speaker level inputs? It which case the easiest (best???) thing to do is to connect these in parallel with your FL/FR speakers to the A85.

Otherwise you can activate the tape loop and send the analog signal to the AVR3802 (set to stereo mode) to do bass management. This cuts out the A85's preamp stage though which negates a lot of the reason for having it.

Thirdly, if your going to use the digital output of your CD player anyway, then as you were going to use the DAC's in the AVR3802 and most DVD players act as a decent enough CD transport (even if a lot of them have less well regarded PCM DAC circuits) you may as well listen to them through your DVD player (AVR3802 set to stereo). Problem solved.

Listen to what sounds best. Do you have big front speakers? You might find (depending on your CD player and speakers), that just an analogue connection between the CD player and the A85, ignoring the AVR3802 and the sub still sounds better.

Charles.

10. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thank you, i set 3802,all speakers =small +sub, i set 3802 to sterio, a85 to cd and used proc mode, played cd using volume on 3802, and get music+sub, disingaging proc mode, which gives(tape+cd) a85 does cd replay (no sub) if using 3802+proc mode on a85, (i take it the 3802 amp is being used and just feeds f/l/r spkrs through pre-outs to a85) if tape+cd is used then the a85 inbuilt amp is used but no sub, i ask this for clarification as there seems little differance between (3802 and a85) i in cd replay, will set 3802 fronts to large ,no sub to compare a bit better, thank you for your help re proc set up etc,