How to connect 2 optical with 1 connector?

miracleboy

I have a Sony STR DE475 which only has a single digital optical connector, but need to connect my SKYHD box and also my XBOX 360 which both use digital optical. It also has a component connection which I use for the DVD player as neither of the former support this.

Is there anyway without buying a new amp that I can connect both Sky and the 360 to get digital audio?

miracleboy

Thanks for that, but the FAQ seems a bit confusing! It seems to suggest that it only supports 1 input to 2 outputs rather than the other way round which is what I need...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=FAQ&ModuleNo=33712&doy=19m11#faq

Q) Ok what can I buy to allow me to connect my DVD player and Sky box to my amp both optically at the same time. ie my amp only has one optical in ? Thanks - Eddie Evans
A) This splitter allos two inputs to one output (assuming both are optical in the first place)a better option for your requirement would be order code L34AK 3-way Toslink switch.

Q) Is this what I need to allow coonection of two devices to one amp? - Paul
A) No this is one input i.e source to two outputs.

Q) Can the optical splitter be used the other way round with two inputs and one output? - Rich
A) unfortunately no.

Q) Can this product be used on American Components? - Matt Schaldach
A) yes it can

Q) I have 1 sony amp with 1 optical in. I need to connect 2 optical divices to it. Will this splitter to alow me to do this. - Darren
A) Yes the product does support that.

Q) your FAQs answers seem contradictory in the question of reversibility (2 inputs, one output). Can you confirm? - john wood
A) This is Only for 1 input to two outputs.

BazMan

I'm not convinced that the first one wouldn't work the other way, ie two inputs to one output - surely optical is bi-directional?

I await being corrected though!

(ETA: The first two FAQ's seem to contradict each other?!?)

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Try the Audio Authority 1177. It costs somewhat more than the Maplin, but will do automatic switching (4 devices).

Gefen (http://www.gefen.com/) also manufacture such devices.

miracleboy

I'm not convinced that the first one wouldn't work the other way, ie two inputs to one output - surely optical is bi-directional?
Fibre is not bi-directional unfortunately, a lot of fibre cables are but thats because they have 2 cables in 1, one for each direction (TX/RX ports). Depends what they have used in this convertor, probably just one from each output spliced into one input. Might be worth trying though as the FAQ is so ambiguous, I could always take it back to the store.

mikenew

Standard Member
I'm currently looking at how to connect up my yamaha htr-5540rds and trying to connect freesat, freeview recorder and WD media player, looks like can use toslink to connect one but then left with 1 toslink and 1 digital co-ax connection to connect to a co-ax cable input.

Anyone had any experience of this as a solution or am I being too simplistic?
Optical to Coaxial Digital Audio Convertor : Connect! - Digital Audio : Maplin

There is a Toslink splitter but there seem to be comments that it is a splitter and not a joiner.

Digital Optical Splitter : Connect! - Digital Audio : Maplin

Many thanks for any info

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom