Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

How to compare subs side by side ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cjob68, Mar 10, 2003.

1. cjob68

cjob68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am wondering what other users of this forum use when purchasing a subwoofer and listening to them side by side ? Do you use specific movie parts or music or both ? What determines which sub to take ?
    I have a Paradigm Ps-1000 and a Velodyne CHT10 at home and I will need to only keep one of them. However , I am having a hard time comparing them. I also would like to add the B&W ASW600 into the mix to see how it compares.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks In Advance

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    I tend to use both music and movies to test out kit (as do most people!). The decision on which sub to buy is down to which one of them sounds best to you. Ideally you want decent low end extension and for it to be able to produce "tight" bass with no boom.

Nice of your dealer to let you have them both at home for a side by side demo.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I'd do 2 tests to choose the better sub.

1, Using AVIA I'd do the LFE sweep and with an SPL I'd see just how low the sub can go before it drops off in volume

2, Play a piece of music with a fast beat, this will tell you which sub is more accurate

If test 1 is inconclusive use test 2 to decide as accuracy is afterall more important anyway IMO.

4. Marshan Man

Marshan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    soooo something like cardle of filth for the second test?

5. Big Ga

Big Ga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can't tell the difference...... which ones the cheapest?!?

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blade and Blade II have rave music that is a good test.............am I showing my age by calling it "rave" btw :blush:

7. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    not like them discos back in our day then eh?!:D
    i found the best way to test a sub was to give it serious lfe - try U571 and see which one would annoy the neighbour first!

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Can i say that if you are genuinely interested in gaining the best (fairest) ABX result there should be at least several points of observation:

Firstly and perhaps most obviously are the sub's of the same design i.e front ported,rear ported, infinite baffle, front firing, downward firing etc etc etc.
    If they are not of the same pattern then care should be taken over positioning, in placing 2 sub's of different design in the same position you may come to the conclusion that the sub performing least to your liking is in fact (un-be-known to you) the better sub of the pair poorly situated.
    Assuming they are of a similar pattern (equal care should be taken if the only difference is that one is front ported and one rear ported - i would recommend that a rear ported sub be kept off a wall for initial assessment) try using a y connector from your amp (lfe) to supply both sub's simultaneously, turn one off and obtain an spl value from your amps test tone or disc etc, then turn that sub off and repeat with sub 2 to pbtain a close as is humanly possible match in spl 's.
    Connecting the two will allow you to listen to one then turn it off quickly and power up the second for fast comparisons without having to mess around with leads/plugs.
    When conducting ABX rests you (that is your brain) can generally convince yourself of anything regardless without the added hinderance if a 5 minute gap.
    Again i would repeat that the most important factor here is too recognise that if you are comparing 2 different types of sub bass units then positioning will most likely be the defining factor in their respective peformances (provided of course that they are reasonably equally matched and not at opposite ends of the market)

Steve

Don't forget to keep the crossover as high as possible or out of circuit if that option is available and use your amp's crossover setting (typically 80hz) for the first set of tests, then set the crossover on your amp as high as possible (120hz?) and the crossover on the sub's at say 40hz for a second test this will point to any deficencies in the sub's crossover network (leaky?).

9. cjob68

cjob68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Yes they are different types of subs I am comparing because the Paradigm Ps1000 is Ported rear firing and the Velodyne is front firing.

Thanks

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As much as I love the PS1000 I don't really think it's a match for the CHT-10, for a few more quid you could try the Paradigm PW2200 which is around the £300-£400 mark, one look at the specs of this sub and you'll drool :

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SubWoofers/PW_2200_Specs.htm

11. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Look to place the rear ported sub several feet off the wall to star with, This will reduce the boundary effect (where the wall effectively becomes an extention of the baffle).
    The front port sub will most likely be happier nearer the wall (although boundary effect will be present on ANY speaker close up to the wall)
    You are ideally looking for the sub that will "gel" to your existing speakers without drawing attention to itself (whilst maintaining the presence/timing/properties you are looking for), back way off on the gain to start with (you can do the hooligan thing later on) play a piece of music and use the crossover/gain settings so as to only be aware of the sub's presence when you've switched the thing off, invariably when comparing 2 sub's side by side you will find one will be hard work whilst the other performs nicely.All of us go through the hooligan stage (to varying degrees certainly as time went on i found myself turning them down) which can be achieved by these easy steps:
    1 turn the crossover as high as you can go
    2 turn the gain as high as you can go
    It's just nice to know that when you get over this there is actually a decent sub in there somewhere.
    if positioning is govened by available space/wife etc then you might buy a specific sub design based on where it can live in your room.

Steve