How to Compare Older & Newer Models? 49SJ800v (2017) vs 49UK6400PLF (2018)

Barnatistuta

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I first bought an LG 49SJ800v (2017 model) about a year ago for TV downstairs and am very happy with it. I ahem borrowed it to play Red Dead Redemption 2, but felt obliged to give it back to the kids after. I then decided a while ago to buy another one for gaming upstairs, but found that I can't get that particular model any more.

I couldn't afford the 2018 model of the same TV, the SK, so, as a result, I bought the LG 49UK6400PLF today, a newer model than the 49SJ800v, but from a 'lower' range.

Would the 49UK6400PLF be better than, or the same as, the 49SJ800v due to it being a 2018 model or would it be worse because it comes from a 'lower' range, even though it's a newer version?

Basically, for gaming & PC stuff, should I have the 49SJ800V or the 49UK6400PLF upstairs if I want the best of the two?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Generally, 2018 SK8500 has FALD backlight, 120Hz, full 4K resolution (compared to WRGB on lower UK series), Magic remote included, Nano cell for better colors, higher brightness (more than 300 that UK6xxx has), better build quality and one-leg stand), Alpha7 cpu from x7 OLEDs, etc.

It is better but it costs more, here is a table for comparison:

http://hdtelevizija.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/lg-2018-oled-tv-lineup.jpg

The older SJ should be better than UK6400 overall still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why upgrade or in this case Downgrade.. Lol? !! I Have the 49SJ810V . Which will still be far superior to that UK6400 model and the SJ8xx Range was absolutely fantastic for the money specs and sheer quality!!!

I hope you realise that those 2018 UK models only have a standard 50hrz Panals and all 2017 LG SJ models were kitted out with 120hrz Panals . In fact only the 2018 SK8500 onwards is kitted out with a 120hrz Panals..

I'm not sure why you did that yes its 1 year newer but your going down to standard 4K specs that kinda werid thing to do your lossing all the extra specs that makes it a Super - Ultra-HD range, it one step below OLED.

Each to their own but I think buddy in my opinion you should take that back and save and then go for the SK8500 or SK8500 which would make logical sense and even then its not worth it unless you just want the AI side of it just mot worth it save the money keep the 2017 SJ like my self save your money and get your self a OLED either E8 or E9... Or may be get a C9 even better and wait till next year then the prices will fall either way buddy unfortunately in my opinion you have not made a correct decision their ..:thumbsdow:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks Marc. That's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure!

Don't worry. I still have both TVs. I was just trying to decide which one went downstairs for the kids and which one went upstairs for my gaming etc.

The SJ is coming back upstairs! The kids won't care about Super UHD nano cell technology! :)

Thanks Marc. That's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure!

Don't worry. I still have both TVs. I was just trying to decide which one went downstairs for the kids and which one went upstairs for my gaming etc.

The SJ is coming back upstairs! The kids won't care about Super UHD nano cell technology! :)

YEPPI !!!:clap::lesson:

Why upgrade or in this case Downgrade.. Lol? !! I Have the 49SJ810V . Which will still be far superior to that UK6400 model and the SJ8xx Range was absolutely fantastic for the money specs and sheer quality!!!

I hope you realise that those 2018 UK models only have a standard 50hrz Panals and all 2017 LG SJ models were kitted out with 120hrz Panals . In fact only the 2018 SK8500 onwards is kitted out with a 120hrz Panals..

I'm not sure why you did that yes its 1 year newer but your going down to standard 4K specs that kinda werid thing to do your lossing all the extra specs that makes it a Super - Ultra-HD range, it one step below OLED.

Each to their own but I think buddy in my opinion you should take that back and save and then go for the SK8500 or SK8500 which would make logical sense and even then its not worth it unless you just want the AI side of it just mot worth it save the money keep the 2017 SJ like my self save your money and get your self a OLED either E8 or E9... Or may be get a C9 even better and wait till next year then the prices will fall either way buddy unfortunately in my opinion you have not made a correct decision their ..:thumbsdow:thumbsup:

What is the input lag of LG UK6400 and does it have a game mode?

What is the input lag of LG UK6400 and does it have a game mode?
They all have a game mode, it is just a mode with almost all processing disabled for less lag, since PC or consoles will have a pristine output.

Input lag on all LGs is very low anyways, new ones even lower. Just take into account that 50", 60", 70" with VA panels will have more motion blur (because of the VA panel).

They all have a game mode, it is just a mode with almost all processing disabled for less lag, since PC or consoles will have a pristine output.

Input lag on all LGs is very low anyways, new ones even lower. Just take into account that 50", 60", 70" with VA panels will have more motion blur (because of the VA panel).

Alright then, thanks for the information. I read online that the uk6400 has no game mode. Glad to know that it is false. Thanks, will be getting 43uk6400 very soon.

You can always "make your own game mode", just set some of the inbuilt ones to your liking (disable most processing options). There is a reset option at the bottom of every mode option list. Take into account the TV differentiates SDR modes from HDR modes, so you have 2x the number of modes in a way...

Maybe look at the new models from 2019, they are a little better and have full 4K pixel structure. They are a little dearer but better overall (43UM7450 comes with Magic remote).

http://hdtelevizija.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/LG_TV-LineUp_chart_2019.jpg

You can always "make your own game mode", just set some of the inbuilt ones to your liking (disable most processing options). There is a reset option at the bottom of every mode option list. Take into account the TV differentiates SDR modes from HDR modes, so you have 2x the number of modes in a way...

Maybe look at the new models from 2019, they are a little better and have full 4K pixel structure. They are a little dearer but better overall (43UM7450 comes with Magic remote).

http://hdtelevizija.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/LG_TV-LineUp_chart_2019.jpg

Alright then, but that would mean the will be a bit more expensive. As far as the uk6400 has a low input lag and would play the ps4 console games without any issue I will be okay with that. But I hope watching movies on the tv(uk6400) is also nice as regards to the picture quality?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom