How to combine UHF outputs from Sky+ box and old Sky box to go to bedroom(s)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dAVefaulkner, Jan 11, 2005.

1. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently had Sky+ installed and moved the old box to a spare room. The Sky+ box UHF output (RF-OUT2) is routed to the TV in our bedroom and a "TV-link" is installed.

Now, I would like to combine the UHF outputs from the Sky+ box and the Sky box and route them to our bedroom (and maybe our son's bedroom in the future if he's very very good!), so we can then choose to view either box that isn't being used. I don't seem to be able to find anything that will combine the UHF signals AND pass the "TV-link" signals back to the boxes - anyone got any ideas? It seems that in theory this should be possible, since the Sky+ box and the Sky box use different remote control signals. Ideally, I want to pass the IR signal back down coax rather than add any IR sender "pyramid" things.

I understand that I can distribute the UHF round the house to other rooms using the distribution amplifiers available from Maplins, which will operate with TV-links connected on the outputs.

Thanks for any help.

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The only thing I can think of is to buy a wireless digisender. I have the AEI digisender from Argos which allows for two pieces of equipment's pictures to be sent to a receiver. It comes with two scart connectors which you would attach to your Sky boxes tv out scart plugs (the other scart lead piggy backs on this one and goes to the tv).

This would have the advantage of not having to run cables round the house and also provides a better picture and carries stereo sound.

The kit cost £80, and extra receivers can be purchased for £40.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Just a thought - if you "daisy chain" the aerial cable through one box, then into the second, the RF outputs will be combined. You will need to choose the RF channels carefully, so they don't interfere.

4. mc1

mc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have both my Multiroom and my Sky+ located in the lounge and use a sky+ combiner from www.tvlink.co.uk to merge the two rf2 outputs and then run around the house.

If you need more than 1 extra location you will then need to connect the signal from the sky+ combiner into a distribution system and purchase a magic eye for every additional location. It works very well and I use RF freq's 21 and 69.

5. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, mc1 - that's EXACTLY what I'm after.

Thanks to everyone else for the other possible suggestions too...

Nick_UK. I would have liked to have done what you suggest but I'm guessing that the Sky box would not pass through the TV-link signal back through RFOUT2 to the Aerial-IN but then you never know until you try! Unfortunately, due to the location of the boxes, this would require an extra long cable feed between them rather than just a cable from each going up to the loft.

wicket. I was put off this idea when I tried a similar device (can't remember the make) but the picture was actually alot worse and was susceptible to interference when people walked around the room! It did, however, prove to be adequate to provide stereo sound: I hacked a SCART plug to loop video-out to video-in and then fed the sound from the wireless receiver on the L/R input of the plug; I then select the pretuned channel on the TV and select AV input!. Wouldn't it be great if, in the future, Sky included a NICAM modulator in the RF output! Probably not much chance of that though.

6. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave. Let me get this straight. Are you saying that by looping the video on the scart plug that you are only sending audio to the TV from the reciever and that the RF signal is being sent out the scart and looped back in again?

If thats the case you gotta let me have the pinouts :). Like you the picture i get from the video sender seems to suffer from interference but the sound is ok (not perfect).

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    can buy a stereo modulators off the shelf for this from Channel plus very very good RF distributon systems distribute Sky VCR DVD etc all with stereo http://www.channelplus.com/products_rf.html

8. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon: Wow! Serious stuff! I couldn't find a NICAM stereo one. They seem to do MTS - isn't that for American only? The S-video/digital audio over CAT5 looks interesting but probably expensive.

midiman: Yep. Most TVs will send the audio/video from the RF-tuner in the TV out the SCART socket. If it doesn't by default, it might be configurable in a menu option. A simple Google search for SCART reveals numerous sites showing pinouts. Here's one:http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/eprebel/SoundAndVision/Engineering/SCART.html. Basically, just join pin 19 and 20 together then connect pins 6 & 2 to L & R audio output from your "digisender"/equivalent receiver.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    they do a european version which is stereo not Nicam but stereo and i have seen some Nicam encoders not sure where tho sorry

10. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Dave :thumbsup: . Will butcher an old Scart cable over the weekend and give it a go