How to clone a Manhattan Plaza PVR drive

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Spidworthy, Jan 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Spidworthy

Spidworthy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought trying to clone my Manhattan PVR's HDD to a new one would be a walk in the park -- but I'm stuck on the fact that neither Windows Explorer nor my cloning program will read it once connected with the usual SATA cable. Windows (10) Disk Management (and the imaging/cloning program) shows that the disk is indeed there and is connected, but I assume that the file system is not recognised.

Unlike most people wanting to clone a PVR's drive, I'm not worried about losing or copying the recordings on it. The intention is simply to have a backup drive which will get the PVR back up and running should mine ever fail, so the only requirement is that it contains whatever basic software the Manhattan needs to operate. (The machine has had heavy use for years, so logically the mechanical HDD might be expected to be the component which will fail first).

The source drive (which came in the Manhattan) is a WD 2.5" 320GB SATA HDD. Ideally I want to be able to create an image file (using Aomei Backupper, Easus ToDo, Macrium Reflect or anything similar) -- which can then be restored when needed to a slightly smaller 250 GB 2.5" SATA HDD which I just happen to have in reserve. Some guidance would be highly appreciated, thanx!

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    The drive will most likely be formatted using the Linux EXT 3 File System.

Two ways to access.

Get yourself a Linux boot CD or USB stick and boot the PC into Windows.

Install a Windows EXT2/3 driver so you can access the drive under Windows

Ext2Fsd Project

I don't have a Manhattan but from memory it's similar to a Foxsat-HDR/HDR-FOX-T2 (You don't specify if it's a terrestrial or satellite box) and can archive to USB. On the Humax boxes you can install a new drive (up to 1TB) and the box will auto set it up, and stick the old drive in a usb caddy and copy the recordings directly off the old drive to a new one, or even replay the recordings directly from the old drive.

Have you tried simply installing the replacement drive in the PVR ?

You should use AV specced drives in pvrs.

AV Drives - Surveillance & More | Ebuyer.com

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  3. Spidworthy

Spidworthy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for that -- I was beginning to suffer abandonment issues..... :)

I'll certainly give that useful information a try. In the meantime, if anyone else out there has the same sort of issue (i.e. wanting to know if it's possible to simply pop in a replacement HDD if the original one dies) -- the happy answer to that part of my query is yes -- at least in the Manhattan! I gave it a try, simply taking out the original HDD and popping in a replacement 2.5" one, then formatting it in the PVR.

The result: it seems that the Manhattan only uses the HDD for the actual recorded material. Everything else (operating system, settings, EPG, even the scheduling) appears to be held in the BIOS and/or in flash memory. So all I would lose come the day my HDD dies, is the actual recordings.

I understand from reading this and other forums that this is not necessarily the case with other PVRs. But it certainly works for the Manhattan. Peace of mind!

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    Humax pvrs are identical, they do cache some data to the hard disk for speed of operation but all the critical stuff is held in NVram. Is your box a satellite or terrestrial version. I would have thought there is some way to archive your recordings. The HD ones will be encrypted with a key unique to the box, but that doesn't normally stop you copying them to another disk providing it's going in the same pvr they will still play. On a Foxsat they play from USB.

Does your box have a usb port. Have you a sata usb drive cradle. Have you tried connecting one of the drives to a USB port and looking for the recording partition ?

I didn't answer earlier because I thought a Manhattan owner would have more definitive information.

5. Spidworthy

Spidworthy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes there's a USB port on the Manhattan but according to the manual it's only for offline software updates. I will certainly try anyhow to connect an external drive to it and see what happens. I do also have a SATA cradle, so if I manage to unlock the file system as per the first reply to this thread, I would then be able to grab my recordings off it. The learning experience continues.....

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    Sounds unlikely - should have bought a Humax :)

7. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,323