1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to clean DVDs ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sra, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Sra

Sra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a Toshiba 340E, which people here seem to rate, however ours seems to have developed a dislike to virtually all of our discs. We sit down to watch a film and after about an hour it starts to skip a bit and then comes to a halt. It seems to object to the slightest scratch - or there is some other problem I don't know about.

Assuming it wants the disc to be shiny clean - what is the best way to do this?
    I read somewhere that you should use a lint free cloth. What is one, am I likely to have one in the house or do I need to go to some kind of special shop ?? How to you use it on the disc?

Thanks

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    A lint free cloth is the type of cloth like the ones that come with spectacles, I actually use spectacle cleaning cloth and spray to clean my DVDs (i see no reason why is should be any less effective to clean the plastic surface on a DVD), seems to work fine for me. Always clean from the centre to the edges and not in a circular motion. I don't think they have to be spotless, jst make sure there is no dust etc on the disc, even badly scratched DVDs can play back fine.

3. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Maybe the machine itself needs a spring clean with a cleaning disc...

4. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Any microfibre cloth will do the job well - either from opticians (labelled hi-tech lens cloth) or a Spontex window cleaning cloth (most supermarkets, a cheaper microfibre type); the Spontex is good for buffing if you wish to wash in a light washing-up liquid solution to remove surface contaminants which the naked eye can't see! :D

Cleaning is a must for rental DVDs - dirt will just end-up on your players lens - worsening long term playback.

Lens cleaners don't do a good enough job - and not all mechanisms will give access to the lens for manual cleaning.
    Manual lens cleaning if possible - should use optical lens cleaner sprayed on a microfibre cloth, then the lens should be very lightly buffed. :lesson:

Use of the above may even improve playability on the Denon machines forum members keep complaining about! :thumbsup:

5. Sra

Sra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everybody - I'll get my glass cleaning cloth and have a go - what spray could I use and is it really OK to put a CD?DVD in washing up liquid solution ?

Cheers

6. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You need a solvent free optical spray - from most opticians - or use lukewarm water with washing up liquid - this is very safe - discs must be rinsed in cold water afterwards - then buffed off with a Spontex microfibre or similar.

7. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon it's a faulty unit. I have found tosh players to pick up discs very well.

8. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with MSYam in thinking it's the unit.

Do most of your discs have scratches on them? In my experience, slight scratches are ok, and scratches have to be pretty bad to affect the disc playback (or get to the point where the players error-correction can't cope). Anyone with kids will probably talk about how much care their 4 year old takes care of their telletubbies disc!