1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to choose the right powered Receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by titanax, Jun 12, 2004.

1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I need help in getting a receiver with the right power for my speakers.

I got a pair Tannoy 609s as front:-
    Spec:
    Peak Power: 200w
    Freq Response: 46Hz - 30kHz
    Norminal Impedence: 8 Ohms
    Min Impedence: 5 Ohms
    Sensitivity: 89db
    Cross-over freq: 2.5kHz

& a pair of 603s as rear:-
    Spec:
    Peak Power: 120W
    Freq Response: 60Hz - 30kHz
    Norminal Impedence: 6 Ohms
    Min Impedence: 4 Ohms
    Sensitivity: 86b
    Cross-over freq: 3.5kHz

& 1 622 as a center speaker.

How should I use this info to choose the right powered receiver??

Advise :lease: !!!

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Those front three speakers are very good (the centre especially), made at a time when Tannoy could make mid range Dual Concentric speakers.
    Normally, the only speaker specifications that you need to worry about are impedance and sensitivity. In this case all of your speakers are fine, save the 603 rears whose sensitivity is quite low. You may need to run the rears a few db higher than the fronts in order to match volumes, but this is no big deal.
    When I had my Tannoy Dual concentric speakers, I found them to be brassy and bright, but enjoyable nonetheless. With this in mind, I would avoid bright sounding surround receivers. So, very broadly, avoid Yamaha, Sony and Pioneer, but try NAD, harman/kardon, Arcam and Denon.

Russell

3. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks russraff...

But what power receiver should I get ? 100W, 150W or 200W ??

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The actual watt rating of the receiver is nearly immaterial. NAD, for example, offer receivers that on comparison, look less powerful than their competition. However, NAD's current delivery is very high and it is this ability that helps drive speakers. Therefore, ignore the watts/channel drivel that receiver manufacturers like to spout onto their literature and instead audition a few yourself. Take along your front three speakers so that you can hear them with your own kit. Better yet, get some home dems. If I were you, though, I would try the h/k 630, NAD T763 and Denon 3805. I would favour the NAD if you like to listen to music, DEnon for movies and the h/k if you listen to both 50/50.

Russell

5. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Generally the higher the better, although in a lot of receivers the power ratings don't mean a great deal. If you're unsure make sure you buy a receiver with pre-outs so you can hook up additional amplifiers in case they prove unsatisfactory.

6. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again russraff,

could you gimme more info on why I should not go for Yamaha or Pioneer receivers?

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Let's be clear, here. I am not saying that Yamaha and Pioneer make bad products - I own a Yamaha amp! Rather the already bright nature of your Tannoys will be made more so if you bought a bright sounding receiver. This will make the sound "shouty" and you will find yourself tiring of our equipment's sound. Especially if you listen to music.
    Traditionally, Yamaha, Sony and Pioneer receivers sound bright compared with NAD h/k and Denon. Therefore I would go for one of the latter bunch, who make very good kit indeed, over the former.

Russell

8. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The yamaha are bright in stereo mode but i think they are the best in movies espicially with there budget amps compared to other manufacturers budget amps.

9. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Absoloutely. That's why I have a Yamaha, and will be getting an Arcam A80, Cyrus 6 CD player for stereo. However, that cinematic brightness that Yamaha has, and Sony to an extent, will be so pronounced with bright speakers that you wouldn't enjoy listening to it.

Russell

10. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so now that we got the receiver figured out..how do I select a subwoofer?

Again, what wattage do I go for? I don't want a boom box...but I do want to be able to hear dialogues clearly & low frenqencies...these are sub issues ?? Yes ? No ??

11. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Have you? What one are you going for, then?

The only way you can really choose a sub, is to have a home dem. You can listen to subs in the store or at a freinds, but this does not guarantee that you will get the same reult in your listening room. Again, ignore the wattage ratings as they mean nothing. Miller and Kriesel make some outstanding (if expensive) subs but their power ratings are way down on, say, Velodyne. Ther is a whole stack of info on this topic in the "Subwoofers" section.

Russell

12. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am looking at the DENON 3805 actually....thanks for asking :thumbsup:

RUSSRUFF...tell me what I should "listen for".... in a sub, or the key elements I should consider when getting 1 ?

13. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Everyone likes to demo sub's differently. Some just listen to music and others DVD test discs.
    Personally I like to take three CD's that have different content, normally The Best Of Divine Comedy, 1812 Overture and Fat of the Land.
    I also have a number of well recorded DVD's that have certain patterns of bass. I demo a sub using these tracks at my loudest listening volume setting on my amp. This is important if your demo is at a shop, where the overall volume may be less than that you would use in your listening room.
    Firstly there is the intro the Attack of the clones. The Attack of the clones test is for ultimate SPL. The bass content in this portion can reduce many subs to smouldering piles of ash if it isn't good enough. You will certainly be able to hear distortion or, if the demo is in a shop, if the sub's volume has been set too low to compensate for this shortfall.
    Second is The Matrix. There are a few sections that test a sub, but the most important one is the rescue of Morpheus. In this scene Neo is manning a gattling gun mounted in a helicopter and the bass notes when this gun is fired are very fast. If a sub lacks timing, then the bass will amalgamate into one, rather than lots of separate, notes.
    Lastly the entire Mines of Moria sequence from Fellowship of the Ring. This has just about everything you could want for bass, and listening to the entire sequence, especially the winding stairs, will give an overall impression of a sub's capability and whether you will like it.

Russell

14. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    russraff

is there any speciall scenes to test my sub or system overall in this movies;

Terminator 3
    Martix reloaded & Revolution
    SpyGame
    Starship troopers2

coz those are the only movies i have now.

15. amackie

amackie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx amackie

17. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Ideally, you should not be able to hear a sub woofer any more than you could hear a tweeter.

Just one note of caution, these types of speakers are not plug and play. They do require some setting up. It is not difficult or time consuming but to integrate it into your room will need some effort.

Are they worth it - absolutely