How to choose- Sony or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Dave Murray, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Dave Murray

Dave Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi List

Just had a very bad experience with a Canon MV350i. Picture quality was ok - but the buzz of the motor drove me crazy.

So second time around I want to make the right choice - read lots of reviews and have two left:

Panasonic NV-GX7b
    Sony TVR 25e

What video gives the Sony rave reviews but I have read it's indoor performance is not great, and as the camera is for recording family events this sounds like quite a drawback.

I can find as much info about the Panasonic but its small size and built in light makes it very attractive.

So I am sitting here on Saturday morning ready to order my camera on Monday and just can't decide - after the disappointment of the Canon, of which I read some very good reviews, I am anxious to get the next camera right.

Can anyone out there convince of one over the other - I guess they are both good cams - but need to decide on one

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. eddie95

eddie95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard a lot of bad comments on the GX7 from people who bought it and took it back. Visit the simply DV forum.
    And I believe sony are always the best to go with as they really know what theyre doing. Sony cams always have so much more features than any othermake of cam. But I also hear the sony cam your after bleeds colours quite a lot...ever considered going for the pc101 or the pc8 ?

3. scott69

scott69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the GX7 last month from jessops for £728.00 and absolutely love it !!
    the picture quality looks great and I really like the controls, which are easy to operate. I considered different cams and found this to be( in my opinion )the best option. I would recommend it.

4. Dave Murray

Dave Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Eddie - checked out the forum and found a few negative posts - but also some negative feedback about the 25e low light capability. Not very keen on the vertical models - no reason just prejudice.

Scott - thanks for your reply, a strong recommendation makes my decision easier - you said you looked at other cams and found this one the best - what eventually swayed you?

Dave

5. scott69

scott69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was down to the same two cams you are looking at, as i was trying to stay below £750 ish.
    both these cams are above average for the price and both have quality lenses ( sony-carl zeiss / GX7-leica dicomar).
    I would advise you to go to a shop and look, feel and play with each cam to see which you prefer. Happy shopping...