Question How to choose satellite or wall speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Basquelle, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Basquelle

Basquelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm setting up a system based around a Marantz SR6009 receiver, and cannot place conventional speakers away from the wall, due to room constraints. I'm interested in using a good sub with satellite or wall speakers instead, but know little about them.
    Can anyone advise on how to start putting it all together?

2. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    Big question........Budget and are you looking at 5.1 or 7.1 or even considering Atmos etc ?

What about size, there are several on wall or even in wall speakers you could consider too.
    I will admit to being a bit biased with my suggestion here, but if you have the space and the finances, i'd certainly be looking at the XTZ Cinema Series.
    Cinema Series

3. Basquelle

Basquelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've gone off the idea of wall speakers in favour of re-arranging the room to accept floorstanders. It seemed that for a fixed budget, the floorstanders were going to be way ahead in terms of sound quality.

4. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    That really depends on the floorstanders in question, unless you are going for some pretty expensive floorstanders that have very good bass extension, you'll still need a decent Sub.
    I've gone from floorstanders to wall mounted as it happens, very happy with the additional floorspace it freed up.
    Are you intending this for mainly movies or music too ?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    Fixed budget - I guess that could go many ways. For a fixed budget using the same drivers/crossover a larger cabinet means more materials, higher shipping costs so potentially a higher sale price!

Movies are generally encoded for a multi channel system with limited range speakers plus a Sub.

Limited range speakers are usually easier to position/accommodate in a residential system.

Joe

6. Basquelle

Basquelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Its for music, all the way, and for me, the roll off is important, it defines the silences which create the emotional impact. I only hear this with big boxes.

7. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    If you are mainly after this for 2 channel music, i'd agree, you certainly want to be looking at a decent pair of floorstanders, but as i posted earlier, even floorstanders will struggle with the bass extension and a Sub might well be needed. Again biased as i am, i went from XTZ 99.36mk2's and they were truly excellent for music, but my usage was more movies than music, hence i moved to the Cinema series, and although they aren't quite as good with music, they are very close in matching the floorstanders.

8. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    If it is for music why not go for a stereo amp rather than a AVR? You will get better for less money and free up additional budget to put towards your pair of speakers.

9. Basquelle

Basquelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Receiver is bought, and in time, I do plan for a full 4.1 system, I like to immerse myself in the music.