How to choose best decoding programme for blu rays?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tremolo Arm, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently took the plunge on a new surround system, consisting of an AVR equipped with all sorts of DSP ambiance generator programmes and usual extractor programmes (Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS Neo 6, etc.).

My question is which one should I use depending on the source so that the pairing is correct?

For example last night I was watching a rock concert Bly Ray which was encoded in three different formats - DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital 5.1, LPCM Stereo. I changed back and forth between them and they all sounded great to my ears, but which one would be the most appropriate from a point of view of how the gig was recorded and meant to be heard?

In other words, which of these should I use for best audio and what programme should I pair it to?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    For the music bluray example the choice will be for me between the DTS-HD or Stereo depending on how you like to listen to music. If going for the DD 5.1 then you would be better with the DTS-HD as it is the same 5.1 but better quality.
    For movies it would be DTS-HD or TruHD (which ever is supported) every time with no DSP mode selected on the receiver so you hear it as intended.
    I would only select a DSP mode for stereo sources i.e. TV.

3. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    so you would not watch a bluray movie that was in dts ma or dd thd 5.1 and use the dpl 2x then to get 7.1(as the op must have 7 speakers else it would not light up dpl 2x and would only light up dpl 2), as i thought it doesnt alter any of the original 5.1 audio just add the 2 extra channels which will add to the sound.
    and for high def audio i thought the dpl 2x music mode would be better to use as it will be 7.1,
    man its so technical:laugh:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Scorttthehat

Actually my speakers are 5.1.
    How does that change your suggestion?

5. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    Hi, what reciever do you have, im supprised the dpl2x lights up if you only have 5 speakers connected.
    and if you only have 5.1 i would just use the true audio format as you wont gain anything.

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    I was assuming only a 5.1 system. As you say you can use a DSP if you have 7.1 but only have a 5.1 source. Although in this case I would probably try both with and without and pick the one that sounded best (a pseudo 7.1 may not be better than 5.1).

7. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V671.

8. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    ep totaly agree.:smashin:

9. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    it sound like you have the extra 2 speakers enabled as it should only show as dpl2 can you go in the menu and se if you have them turned off, and also make sure your back speakers are wired in the right set of back speakers on the amp.

10. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Scotthehat. You were right. I had not connected the system properly and the AVR "assumed" that I had a 7.1 set hooked up. Now the dpl2x does not show up.

My question still remains though. I guess I am not familiar with what each extraction programme is supposed to do. PSM1 answered the question regarding what option I should choose on the blu ray set up, but I am still unsure what programmes I should use on the AVR in order to get the correct audio encoding (and avoid unnecessary colouring).

For example, you correctly pointed out that dlp2x is only for a 7.1 speaker set up. So for a 5.1. set up, would you recommend using dlp2 or Neo 6 or "straight"? I though straight was to be used to get the best possible source, but when I switch to straight, I don't get sound coming from the surround speakers.

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    STRAIGHT gives you the native audio as is and without any additional sound processing. You'd use PLII to create surround from stereo sources such as standard definition TV broadcasts. If you use STRAIGHT with such broadcasts then the result would just be stereo output. Pro Logic can create pseudo channels where none exist or extract embedded (matrixed) channels from stereo audio. DTS NEO:6 is very similar to Dolby Pro Logic and it is a matter of personal preference as to which to use. Both are mainly used in conjunction with TV sources such as satellite, cable and Freeview. Both only create additional channels where none exist so if watching a TV broadcast with native Dolby Digital 5.1, neither Pro Logic nor NEO:6 are engaged, but if watching a stereo broadcast either NEO:6 or PLII will create the missing channels associated with the other speakers.

12. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    If you are not getting surround sound from your blurays on straight mode then you must have something set up wrong in the bluray player.

13. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    glad you got that sorted,

14. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PSM1,
    The bluray player is a PS3 slim.
    I tried changing the audio settings from linear to bitstream but it 's the same - no surround. I tried 3 different blu rays and also a game - same result - i.e. no audio from the surround speakers in straight mode....:(
    What could it be?

15. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    Have you set the amp's HDMI audio output to AMP+TV? If so then change it to just AMP.

Are you sure that you've connected the surround speakers to the terminals marked SURRROUND and not the terminals labelled BACK (a common mistake)?

16. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The option my Amp give me is HDMI OUT (TV) on/off. I've tried it with both settings and it's still only stereo.

The amp has an "Info" option, which displays which speakers are engaged with each programme. On Straight it shows only the front two speakers and the SW engaged (not even the Centre speaker). The full info that shows for Straight is:
    FORMAT: PCM
    CHANNEL: 2.0 (2/0/---)
    SAMPLING: 48 kHz
    BITRATE: ---
    DIALOGUE: ---

And yes, I have the speakers connected to the surround terminals....

17. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also I am not sure about the Power Amp settings. There are three on my Amp but neither sounds correct for a 5.1 system.

The first option is Basic and shows Main Max CH: 7 CH; Bi-amp: No; Extra Sp: F. Prns
    The second option is 7ch + 1 Zone and it shows: Main Max CH 7ch; Bi-amp: No; Extra Sp: Zone 2
    The third option is 5ch Bi-amp and it shows: Main Max CH: 5; Bi-Amp: Yes; Extra Sp : ---

Which one of these should I choose for a 5.1 set up?

18. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Unless you intend to biamp the fronts or have Zone 2 enabled then you use the first Basic setting. The amp will detect you only have a 5.1 system (and not a 7.1 system) and will set itself accordingly.

19. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125

This suggests that it is the source that is at fault and not the amp. The source needs to be configured to output more than stereo or you need to ensure you are actually playing audio that has more than 2 channels.

20. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Dante
    The source is PS3, set on linear.
    The material is blu ray, with both Dolby 5.1 and Dts hd Master Audio. I've tried a few different blu rays - still the same result...

If there any setting I need to change on the PS3?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  21. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    I presume you are only connected to the PS3 via HDMI? Is so then leave the PS3 set to bitstream and ensure both your PS3 and amp are powered up. Now go into the "Audio Output Settings" of the PS3, select "HDMI" and then run the Auto configuration.

Also in the PS3's "Audio Output Settings", ensure to turn "Audio Multi-Output" OFF.

22. maxwell

maxwell
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,961
    Try this on PS3

Select Sound Settings
    Select HDMI
    Select AUTO
    Check that all the DD, DTS and a number of PCM (all the way up to 7.1) are ticked.
    Save the settings
    Go to the BD/DVD settings
    Select HDMI audio output format as bitstream and save the settings.

23. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    as said you have slim ps3 set to bitstream and see what happens, still not sure why pcm your not getting dts ma and dthd because you should be.

24. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right I seem to be getting somewhere with everyone's help.

I can now get surround sound in STRAIGHT mode. However.... that's only if either DTS MA or DD 5.1 is selected as the sound option in a given blu ray's sound option. Then again - in those two sound options, I can only access STRAIGHT mode, meaning that all other Surround Decoders (DPL, DPLII MOVIE, DPLII MUSIC, NEO:6 cinema, etc.) are disabled and inaccessible.

However if I choose LPCM STEREO as the blu ray's sound output, then the Surround Decoders are back, but STRAIGHT is again only stereo. Is that how it's supposed to be?

25. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    That is how it should be. Straight plays it as it comes in so if it is stereo in then it is stereo out. The DSP modes are for stereo inputs to convert them to 5.1 so they are disabled when you have a 5.1 source coming in as they are not needed. Sounds like it is working exactly as it should now.