How to check the strength of a wall

techno79

I'm planning to wall hang a 46" LCD TV. The wall is internal and part of the chimney but the chimney has now been sealed off. The wall is most likely brick and feels very solid.

1. However, is there a way to check if the wall is strong enough to hold the TV?
2. How deep would I need to drill?

TIA

Steve1951

Hi Techno

I do this sort of thing for a living and have posted many times with advice.

However you do not give nearly enough info but generally speaking.......

A chimney breast SHOULD be fine to put the TV on.

There is no real definitive method to check its strength without being there!

How deep to drill.........well depends on what fixings you are using etc etc etc.

For what it would cost get someone in.

Regards

Steve

I have just browsed the Plasma section and seen what is being charged for fixing these brackets........I take my last comment back!!!!!!!

techno79

Hi Techno

I do this sort of thing for a living and have posted many times with advice.

However you do not give nearly enough info but generally speaking.......

A chimney breast SHOULD be fine to put the TV on.

There is no real definitive method to check its strength without being there!

How deep to drill.........well depends on what fixings you are using etc etc etc.

For what it would cost get someone in.

Regards

Steve

Thank you for your quick response. What other information would you need to know to make it more specific. The TV I'm thinking about is the Samsung 46" M87. I'm planning to wall mount it using a Vogel tilt and swivel mount (the adjustable kind which goes in and out a little bit to allow a fair amount of swivel, not the one that comes out loads).

Please let me know what other info you need. Thanks

Steve1951

Hi
Pleasure to help.Well..........

What tools have you got there is no point in buying loads of kit for one job.You need
Hammer Drill....Either QUALITY battery one or mains
Masonary Bits...various sizes
Fixings...well again various and as required.

Its a big TV and swivel too so its maybe Rawl bolts ie sleeve anchors not screws or a combination of both.

You see I carry all these so if one isnt big enough or suitable I dont need to rush off to B &Q etc.

I noticed elsewere that companys are charging circa £200 to do this which seems criminal to me.

Steve

deepmenace

i've a couple of tradesman mates who are pretty good at what they do ( one's a sparky and the other's a plumber ). You know anyone with those "skillz" they'd probably be able to help just cause they know how to fix things in place. And they've probably got real decent equipment into the bargain.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom