Question How to charge without original lead - USB-C not working

serpico77

Distinguished Member
My daughter has lost the power supply that it came with, I have tried USB-C lead and my iPad Pro power pack but doesn't charge. Its not a new thing as she lost it before but finally found it and it charges no problems with that power lead but whatever USB-C lead I use or plug I have no joy, any reason for this?

Thanks

cmdrmarc

My daughter has lost the power supply that it came with, I have tried USB-C lead and my iPad Pro power pack but doesn't charge. Its not a new thing as she lost it before but finally found it and it charges no problems with that power lead but whatever USB-C lead I use or plug I have no joy, any reason for this?

Thanks
Nintendo didn't stick to the USB-C standard hence why not every cable will work. There are a few 3rd party ones if you search for them (eg Amazon product) but I'd be tempted to stick with the official one.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
The USB A-USB C cable that comes with the Pro controllers works.
Perfect excuse to get a Pro Controller :D

serpico77

Distinguished Member
Nintendo didn't stick to the USB-C standard hence why not every cable will work. There are a few 3rd party ones if you search for them (eg Amazon product) but I'd be tempted to stick with the official one.

Im sure it will turn up but im happy to buy this for now.

Thanks!

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Im sure it will turn up but im happy to buy this for now.

Thanks!
Personally I’d go for a Amazon basics one.
The linked one is cheap & has no reviews - I wouldn’t really want to risk using it & potentially bricking my Switch.

USB-A to USB-C cables need to have a fuse in the cable to prevent too much power being drawn & burning out your USB ports. Cheap cables often omit the fuse to save costs & just hope for the best.
Google ‘Benson Leung USB-C’ for more info.
Amazon Basics USB-A to USB-C ones are fine though.

Alternatively get a USB-C to USB-C cable, which don’t suffer from the problem. I’ve got an Amazon Basics one which works fine on my Switch with my power bank.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom