1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to change geometry on sony 32dx100?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dac, Sep 4, 2002.

1. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    hi guys,

i've tried searching for this on the forums ... but no luck.

normal menu system has picture rotation, but this dosen't help.

where are the geometry settings?

i've tried looking in the service menu too ... but couldn't find anything!

step by step instructions will be much appreciated. (i'm a complete novice!)

i have a slight dip on the left hand side of the tv. rather annoying watching from 2.5 metres away. :mad:

finally ... why does the contrast settings resets itself (back to max!) after i've modified it and then switched the tv on to standby. :confused: this is annoying too! :mad:

cheers,
    dac

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.kv32tweak.freeuk.com/

Be careful!

If you have a horizontal dip, you won't be able to correct this in the service menu. Horizontal geometry can only be corrected by opening up the set.

You'll never get the geometry perfect on a CRT TV anyway so if it's not too bad, I'd leave it be. ;)

3. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    squirrel,

does this mean that i will need to call allders to get a sony engineer to open up the set and adjust the horizontal geometry?
    (is it just removing the case and tweaking a few bits and bobs? or does it require lifting the tv of the stand and other heavy duty stuff ... don't want any damage to occur.)

currently left side has a bigger top black bar than the right side.
    and i don't think i can live with it like this ... minor but bloody irritating.

i'll be happy if it's near perfect geometry :)

i'm sure i've read some posts here where people have also had issues with geometry and said they could fix it.
    if u're reading this and know ... please help a fellow dx100 owner :)

cheers,
    dac

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt they'd do it in the home, but you never know. Most likely they will take it away and do it in the workshop. If you're that unhappy with it and it's a new TV, I would go for a replacement rather than let them fiddle with it. Up to you.

How big is the left hand dip in millimetres? It's only on the top half of the set yes? (which is why rotation doesn't work right?)

Vertical geometry can be twiddled with, but not horizontal geometry (there are sometimes one or two horizontal geometry adjustments on some TVs (certainly not common), but that's about it).

I don't have a DX100, I have a Sony LS60 ;)

5. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    squirrel,

after reading kv32tweak a bit more ... there was some settings i noticed i could change to make it a lot better.

basically the problem was:

looking from the top left of the screen to the top right of the screen, it looks like a slight uphill road. so when on letterbox mode where u get black lines, the picture felt slanted.

i went back into the service menu and modified some things under the "Deflection" menu. (under device register setting)

the items i modified on my set were:

horizontal-1
    horizontal-2
    pin amp

it's not perfect, but it is a lot better and i'm now pretty happy with the geometry.

still some minor things that is irritating me. with the dx100 EPG for idtv, when i switch digital channels, the title/header initially appears blurry (out of focus) then 1 second later returns back to being clear text.
    weird indeed ... (can't say i notice the picture being blurry though)

need to see if it's the same in the shops before deciding what to do.

does anyone know if the dx100 suffers from focus problems?

cheers,
    dac