How to cancel Sky without calling?

craigt1971

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to give notice to cancel Sky but don't want to call. I suffer with anxiety and don't need the aggro of up to an hour on the phone with them trying to browbeat me into staying.

I used their email address and gave all my details yet still they insisted they need to speak to me.

Can it be done by a letter sent by Special Delivery?

I just want to use NowTV

Yes, that is what I did. No need to get into any debate, I just prepared what I wanted to say in a word document, and copied and pasted it into the live chat.
Contact us | Sky.com

It never seems to be available for me, I wondered if it was falsely unavailable as I was going through the cancel option on the website menu! Wonder if there's a best time of day to try

There is no need to do anything other than e-mail.
I tell them I never use the phone and insist on having everything in writing.

I've tried emailing twice now. On my second time I said let's not waste each other's time by you calling me as my mind is made up. Yet an hour later they tried to call and sent an email saying they need to speak to me

Do you have a partner or family member that can speak on your behalf, I often have to phone for my father in law to deal with his account as he's not well enough to do it himself.

It never seems to be available for me, I wondered if it was falsely unavailable as I was going through the cancel option on the website menu! Wonder if there's a best time of day to try
It took me 3 weeks of trying every day to get onto the online chat. It was constantly busy, and I tried all different times of day. Eventually I got through. Most people on this forum never seem to have issues getting into an online chat. Could be a web browser problem, I use safari on Mac.

I've tried emailing twice now. On my second time I said let's not waste each other's time by you calling me as my mind is made up. Yet an hour later they tried to call and sent an email saying they need to speak to me
Tell them you have hearing issues that prevent you from using a phone. My dad has to do this with all his suppliers as he cannot hear on a phone.

I cancelled my mother's contract by impersonating her on chat. As soon as you mention cancelling the immediate response is "We need to call you". I just replied that "I" was recovering from an operation & unable to speak. They will also want to know why you're cancelling so they can try to tempt you to stay. Tell them you're emigrating & they give up.

I did post a thread about cancelling this way as I thought it was useful info to avoid all the hard sell, but I was just ridiculed because cancelling by phone is "really easy" & "no one's ever had a problem".

You can now message Sky via the "My Sky" app on a smartphone. You are told that replies won't be instant as they're also dealing with other things/customers but that works both ways and can be done at your leisure. I started a message with them on Friday and over the last couple of days have renegotiated my package for cheaper. You can also use it to cancel.

Sky live chat definitely, cancelled a few times that way so easily and they never question why I want to leave :smashin:

I'm on the phone to them now trying to cancel. It's tedious [emoji21]

Yet an hour later they tried to call and sent an email saying they need to speak to me
Email saying exactly what date you are cancelling from and that you won't cancel any other way.
Give them all the details that you have - name, address, password, dob, anything!

Tell them you're profoundly deaf and can't use a phone.

They can't force you to speak to them, it's just a "company policy".

Exactly!

Can I make a suggestion. I've used it twice over the last few years to cancel without any hassle or fuss. Ring up and just tell a little white lie on the phone. When they ask you your reason for cancelling, just tell them that you are moving to a grade 2 listed building and realised you couldn't have Sky installed at the new property. From that moment on they know there's no point in trying to "keep" you on, and only want to know if you want your connection terminated asap or at a specific date "when you move". It's about as hassle free a phone call as you can have that way.

How do I cancel Sky without calling?

Basically the majority can't because they won't let them. This is in direct contravention to an Ofcom ruling that any and all users may cancel any service via any means they choose. Either via voice, in writing or via Webchat (which is also in writing).

Sky love to take your money but are complete and absolute [insert any word here] when it comes to cancelling their services. And even though Ofcom have told them they must accept written cancellations (say via email) they still won't and don't do it, because as you correctly surmise, they want to get stuck into you, in a totally professional but pressurised way.

I've seen a few helpful suggestions on here so far to help you, but nah, none of them are effective as this one -

Just ring them up and tell them your moving abroad. The call should last about 120 seconds. No stress required....

I did post a thread about cancelling this way as I thought it was useful info to avoid all the hard sell, but I was just ridiculed because cancelling by phone is "really easy" & "no one's ever had a problem".
I don't recall that and ridiculing a poster is not allowed.
As you say though, if you do call tell them you're emigrating.

I had the same hassles a few years back with about an hour of email tennis: "we need to speak to you", "no you don't." "we do", "no you don't".... Eventually I told them I had a speech impediment and couldn't use the phone. Things went quiet for a while and then I got an email from their special needs, disability team apologising profusely, cancelling the account immediately and waiving the "have to pay another 30 days" rule.

Result! (Although I was bricking it a bit that if it turned out that I DID actually have to speak to them I would now have to fake a speech impediment! (I practiced a bit, much to the amusement of my work colleagues)).

Emailed to cancel on Monday and had a couple of missed calls from them that evening. Got an email back the next day saying they had to talk to me and would try calling again. Got a call today, confirmed my details and she asked if there was anything she could do to influence my decision. I told her I'd just done a lot of work to my house and need to cut out unnecessary expenses and that was it. No hard sell, no offers and she was very polite and quick. I was pleasantly surprised! Much as I don't want to admit it I dare say sooner or later they will tempt me back but for now I'm feeling quite pleased with myself for cutting the cord!

Bet it's sooner.:laugh:

Haha..we'll see! I applied to switch broadband/landline provider and bought a youview box from someone on here before cancelling, just to make the point to both myself (and them) that I'm serious but the furthest I've ever got to cancelling over the past 20 years is sticking to my guns for three weeks of the cancellation period. I'd probably take an offer it was exceptionally good but I'm really not bothered as I don't watch TV so much in the summertime anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom