1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to calibrate the best PQ on PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Matthew J Taylo, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Finally I've gone out & spent my 2003 bonus & upgraded to the Pani PWD6, thanks to all the staff at AVsales, very helpful.

The 1st thing I've noticed is the massive difference in PQ from various Reg1,2 & 4 discs I've spun so far, ranging from stunning (Matchstick men & parts of T2 via DVI) to ok (Finding Nemo, LOTR 2 Towers) to terrible (The Abyss). The main problem appears to be digital noise (flicker) on solid surfaces (i.e walls, skin etc.) + poor sharpness.

I've also noticed that I can actually see a HDMI to DVI picture with Reg 2 disc's (this isn't supposed to happen) although the PQ is inferior to that I see when I switch to component via my massive Beldon 7710A cable.

So my questions are:

1. Is there any specific process to set up the plasma for the best PQ for component, HDMI to DVI & TV (via VGA RGB)?

2. having both a component & a HDMI to DVI set up connected, does this effect overall PQ, should I disconnect the one I don't use? (I do like flicking between the two though, the wife doesn't!)

3. Why am I seeing a better picture via component for most region 1 discs compared to the HDMI to DVI terminal board - does the quality of the HDMI to DVI cable make that much a diff, I have a standard 5 mtr Molex cable (I don't need this length now so will I see a diff with a 2mtr cable?).

So many questions I know but now I have the screen I want to make sure I'm seeing it at it's best.

PS - I too notice a flicker, more pronounced with all the screen & power saving options on?

Thanks all
    :oops:

2. phil_mo

phil_mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0