How to buy HC4000?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sandbag102, Jan 10, 2012.

1. sandbag102

sandbag102
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much deliberation I think i have finally decided to bite the bullet and get a Mitsubishi HC4000! (Unless anyone is going to talk me out of it now and convince me there is something else I should be getting!)

I basically wanted some advice on buying the Pj. Does where I buy it from have any impact on the manufacturers warranty? Can someone advise me what this is incidentally as I seem to have found a few different quotes.

I have been looking on Ebay and seen some pretty good deals, but I'm concerned that they may be scams/imports from US or something - am I being overly cautious?

Any advice would be much appreciated to answer some of these queries before I can get on and order it! :thumbsup:

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,042
    Mitsubishi HC4000

Avitav are doing it for £999 which is a decent price,it should come with a 3yr warranty.Simply Electronics are offering for £100 less but they have a poor reputation.

It is a decent projector for the money and offers the best contrast/black levels at it's price.Being DLP it does not have lens shift so be careful regarding placement of the projector.

3. sandbag102

sandbag102
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I would be happy to pay £999 for it and that is what I anticipated. Unfortunately I tried Avitav and they do not have this model in stock. In terms of going to Simply Electronics, that is a definite no-no for me! Judging by comments online about them, they sound like a nightmare!!

My one reservation with the mits is the issue around warranty - they do not seem to be well represented in the UK and no-one seems to stock them. This is worrying as even if I can get the 3 years manufacturers warranty, if mits don't have good UK support for their machines there could be long turn around times on any parts/repairs. Naturally with a quality product you would hope that this will not be an issue and there will be no need to use the warranty, but i don't want to take this for granted.

Has anyone had any experience with Mits in the UK and ever had to use their warranty?

Cheers

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,042
    Mits do not sell in large quantities in the UK, a few years ago they were more popular but these days there are so many alternatives I suppose they have fallen a bit from favour.

This is not necessarily due to quality as the HC4000 has a good spec as far as reliability it is difficult to say as they have sold in small numbers here.

I suppose you will either have to find an alternative supplier and take a chance with reliability or pick an alternative.A friend of mine who posts on here did get one about 2-3 months ago from amazon(or was it Jowetts) for £999 and he is happy with it.I did have him round my place just after he got it and did a 3 way shoot out with my HD20 and Epson TW3200.

To be honest we did not feel there was a huge difference in all of them other than they all had their strengths and the odd weakness.For both of us the Mits had the better image just about(black levels and slightly sharper) but the offset can make it difficult for positioning it.The Optoma was the best value for money and the Epson was best if rainbows are an issue and has lens shift (also the quietest) so you can put it any where.

Optoma and Epson has a 3 yr warranty with Epson giving a 3yr (1 off replacement) on the lamp also.

Of course at £1k you also now have the Optoma HD300x and Epson TW5900 3D machines to throw in the mix but the 5900 does not have lens shift like the 3200 and the 300x is only 1 yr warranty.

Up from those is the Optoma HD82 which is a super quality DLP machine that has been on offer at Superfi for £1299 which is a real bargain as it was nearly £3k at launch a few years ago.

5. sandbag102

sandbag102
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you have made a few good points there. Im not sure that I would be willing to take a risk on the warranty as you never know when you might get a faulty product and it is a considerable investment to take such a big risk on.

I have seen a demo with the epson tw3200 and also the hd 20, I was pretty impressed with both machines, but found the HD20 a bit more punchy in terms of colours and sharpness even though its slightly lower priced. Granted the tw3200 has great flexibility in terms of placement, but looking on screen calculators and plugging in the dimensions of my room I dont think that will be an issue.

I liked the HD300x, in fact I thought the picture was slightly better that the HD20 on 2D, i didnt bother seeing it in 3D as this is not something I am interested in at the moment.

The HD82 sounds pretty cool, but please don't tempt me!! Haha, I shouldn't really be spending £1k and I'm at the very top of my budget!! Good suggestion though and definitely a great deal at £1300.

I would be really interested to know for sure where your friend got his Mits and how he has been getting on with it so far..