1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to buy a tv??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mistuk, Dec 10, 2003.

1. mistuk

Standard Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi folks,

Right - hopefully this isn't as stupid as it sounds! There's obviously a lot of experience on buying tv's on this forum, and wondered if you lot had any tips on how to do it.

Let me explain.... my wife & I are looking at replacing our Panasonic TX32PK20 that I've had for about 3 years. Not really happy with it - loads of 100Hz artifacts, solarization and posterizing going on. We've looked at Plasmas, but don't think I can justify the cost - they just don't seem to be value for money. So we've decided to stick with a CRT either a 32 or a 36".

Now I fancy either the Panasonic 36PD30, one of the new HD JVC 36", or maybe even a Loewe 32" (saw one today in a local hifi store and it looked awesome!). But I've read about all the potential problem that can exist - with some people having 2, 3 or even more sets before they find one they are happy with, or even getting a refund.

So where do you guys go to buy them? I'd go to John Lewis but they dont sell the 36" panasonic, and I dont think they sell the JVC either. How do I choose a retailer that will allow me to do this without loads of hassle? I'm prepared to go through a few sets to get the best one I can, but I don't want to end up with a turkey I can't do anything about.

Also, I'm having trouble finding a good retailer to go into to demo these sets with decent sources. I live in Andover, Hampshire - anyone know somewhere I can demo these sets?

Sorry for the long post!