1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Build your Own Freeview Box.....

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by waynewickenden, Feb 22, 2005.

1. waynewickenden

waynewickenden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .........Has Anyone got any Good ideas?

I was just thinking the other day that companies i.e Nokia, Daewoo,Goodmans, all recieve huge ammounts of profits each day by people purchasing their freeview boxes, but what if WE knew how to build one? That would surely give those companies something to think about, Don't you agree? Besides, The companies no doubt Mass produce their Boxes as cheaply as possible, therefore showing little consideration for the buyers.

It can obviously be done, so where is a better place than "Digital Spy" to get some good advice from. Someone on these forums must surely know how to do it, so any replies would be very much appreaciated, and not just by me, but by others aswell!

Before Posting: If the above is illegal I sincerely appologise on my behalf and wouldn't condone it in any way, shape or form.

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    You're very much mistaken if you think that manufacturers make huge profits on STBs. The margins are wafer thin. With boxes available for £30 and R&D costs well into hundreds of thousands I think you're wasting your time.

PS This is AV Forums, not Digital Spy.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    :rolleyes:

4. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lynx, how much are you paying wayne to start all these threads? ;)

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    It could be done but wouldn't be worth the effort.
    For info look up setpal and Novapal in Google.
    You need a DVB complaint COFDM tuner/demodulator chipset reference design. The whole design and firmware can be licenced - which is what many of the STB manufacturers did.
    You would have trouble getting hold of the key ICs though (unless you work for Nokia, Echostar, Daewoo , Sagem etc.); you would also have trouble getting a licence for the necessary IP (intellectual property).
    I work for a USA-based IC manufacturer (technical/applications support for users of our ICs) so I do know what's involved - even though we don't make these ICs.
    When the original digital terrestrial STBs came on the market at over 100 quid DIY might have seemed worthwhile ; however at that time there were only a couple of manufacturers of the key tuner chips needed and so the cost of the chips was much higher.
    Competiton and large volumes eroded the price of such ICs and so the market price of the STBs then followed suit.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

6. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Maybe a kit has been published in an amateur electronics mag or summat ?

Mike.

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    I doubt it - unless they have made arrangements to purchase the necessary IP and the core ICs required.
    I am , however, prepared to be proved wrong if anyone finds anything like this.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    chris do you know awt about the BBC designed Semi-pro DVB boards that were used to test the viability and technical capabilities of FV (may have been crown castle) i saw a site with info just after ITVdigital collapsed...but cant find it I would love to find a source for SDI DVB reciver and the BBC board was just that......