1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to build my plasma into the wall

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tutin, Apr 13, 2005.

1. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

My plasma (PW7 42") has been on a table stand till now, but since a week we've been doing a major renovation of the appartment.

We decided firstly to hang the plasma on the wall, but then went even further and decided to dig a whole in the wall and build it in.

Now the wall is not a problem, it's an internal wall so I can basically do anything I want with it, my question is mostly about ventilation.

My first idea was to make a whole the exact same size as the plasma - this would look great, it'd be like having a window... but then i didn't think of ventilation, the plasma needs to breathe i guess. I've seen perfectly fit in-wall plasmas, how is the ventilation done ?

Then I thought of actually making a complete whole in the wall, one side is to the living room the other is to the entry where you hang your clothes. Fit in the plasma properly and close the whole on the back side halfway. Like that the upper 50% of the back of the plasma TV will be open air, but heh - the back will be visible from the entry corridor.

Can you give me some advice ? May be other scenarios ? Or ideas on how to build it in ? Ventilation ? Air circulation ?

Thanks a lot !
    Cheers

2. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    this one has the potential to cause a few major headaches!

firstly i note that you are based in belgium - check that you are allowed to do this under your countries building/electrical/fire regulations

you are still going to have to mount it on a wall bracket which has to be fixed to a wall or support framing

the ventialtion will be a problem but i am not qualified to comment on a plasma screens requirements - also humidity may need to be considered within a 'void'

don't forget that you have to be able to remove the screen without dismantling the wall in case you have problems

MAYBE a compromise is to build a recess in the wall and place the screen in that - maybe using a wall bracket or your existing pedestal stand - clearances around the screen should be found in your user manual

hope this helps and gives you some idea of the potential difficulties

no doubt one of our erstwhile custom installers will be able to help you :D

3. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah fiddling with the wall is not a problem. It's the construction company that built the whole building that is doing the appartment renovation so they know this wall is no issue on legal point. It's just an internal wall which was built to separate the entry corridor and the living.

I was thinking about actually making the whole the exact same size as the plasma frame so that once it's put there it holds standing by it's frame touching the wall (well with some isolation not to scratch it of course) - without a wall mount. Because eventually the wall on the backside of the plasma may be like 50% open.. hmm how can I explain this..

4. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    would seriously not advise trying to hold screen in postion without a bracket - it would be impossible to hold the screen securely without damage

also remember the point i made about needing to remove the screen if you have propblems - partial rear access :eek: would not be enough!

you say that the wall is not a legal issue since it seperates a living space from an entry route - as i said i do not know your countries regulations but in the uk in an apartment such a wall could well be a fire resisting wall and as such you could not breach its integrity with a built in plasma screen along the lines you are proposing

5. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about if I dig the whole the size of the plasma +5 cm without breaching the backside of the wall. So completely enclosed, but with let's say 4-5 cm opening on all sides (above, left, right and below) ?

6. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    regarding spaces at the sides etc - i cannot quote for your model but the figures given by panasonic for the viera are as follows

MINIMUM 10cm top, bottom, left, right and 1.9 cm rear (i am worried about this figure and wonder if its a misprint in the manual as 19cm seems more realistic :confused: )

if you give the screen these clearances ALL ROUND a bracket of some sort would be essential

regarding leaving the wall at the back intact - that should be fine provided you are sure that you are ok with your countries regulations especially if this is a fire wall

7. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just to let you know i am going to be off line for a few hours and will check for any updates later

8. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm abroad right now so I can't have a look at the wall, but i just called the people doing the works and they've already made the hole.

The plasma is 9cm deep, they've made the whole 16cm deep with 6cm extra on each side. I think I may need to extend that on the top/bottom part.

9. invu2day

invu2day

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hello Tutin,

I did a similar job to your spec last year. The whole I made was 15cm deep with 3cm extra at all four ends. 3cm is the minimum you will need at top and bottom as you will need to lift the plasma onto the bracket in the wall. Once the plasma was inplace I had a mirror frame cut as a border to go around the plasma to give a flush finish. My plasma is above a fireplace and have had no ventilations problems since installation 18 months ago. Follow this link to see a picture of my finished work.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173613

10. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeye that's what I wanna do !

So you say that even with 3cm on each side there's no overheating issues. That's good i got 5-6 on each so no worries then.

The mirror idea is great, i think i'll do the same. I was planning on fitting the wholes on the sides with a perforated metal of some sort, but putting a mirror frame which stands slightly before the wall is just stunning.

Do you have any better quality pics than the 2 in the other thread ?

Where did you put your DVD / tuner ?

11. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simply beautiful wall haang there mate!

12. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just one point - some people may have been able to get away with less space that i quoted - BUT my figures were taken directly from a panasonic manual!!

if you reduce those clearances and get a problem with overheating or whatever i imagine that panasonic would not be too sympathetic to warranty claims :(

so basically do it at your own risk :D