How to 'break' deinterlacing on DVDO iScan HD+...

David Robinson

Novice Member
I've been using the HD+ with my Sony V40 for a while now, and overall I think the scaler is well worth having. I have noticed one annoying artifact however. I thought it may be the Sony, but I have now tried feeding the scaler into an analogue PC CRT monitor, and the effect is the same.

What causes the problem, is fine detail in the picture that moves slightly. A good example is a necktie or other clothing with a bold pattern, when the wearer moves slightly or the camera is hand held. The fine detail is softened and dimmed when moving, however slightly, and becomes clear, and also brighter, when stationary. At worst this results in an obtrusive shimmering effect.

I have a test recording that I recorded off a BBC news bulletin, on my PVR. This is useful for comparisons. This sequence looks fine when using 'human eye deinterlacing', i.e. a bog standard interlaced CRT monitor. The iScan is much better that the Sony's internal deinterlacer (I would say the amplitude of the artifact is about half), but far from perfect.

What seems to be happening, is that the iScan is instantly adapting to its motion mode even when the motion is very slight, then instantly adapting back to still mode when the motion stops. What is needed it seems to me, is to only adapt when the motion is substantial and prolonged, at which point the detail will already look blurred and the adaption will be less blatant.

So, the question is, is the new ABT precision deinterlacer board (I know this won't fit the HD+ model) any better at handling this situation? Are there any other products out there that will do it?

andrewfee

Novice Member
David Robinson said:
What causes the problem, is fine detail in the picture that moves slightly. A good example is a necktie or other clothing with a bold pattern, when the wearer moves slightly or the camera is hand held. The fine detail is softened and dimmed when moving, however slightly, and becomes clear, and also brighter, when stationary. At worst this results in an obtrusive shimmering effect.
This doesn't sound like an issue with the processor to me, but rather one of LCD's typical motion artefacts. If you try feeding the LCD with a progressive source, you will see the same effect.

David Robinson

Novice Member
Well, I can't try a true progressive source as I don't have one. But as I said, the effect is just the same when feeding the scaler into a CRT monitor.

StooMonster

David Robinson said:
So, the question is, is the new ABT precision deinterlacer board (I know this won't fit the HD+ model) any better at handling this situation? Are there any other products out there that will do it?
The new ABT Precision Deinterlacer board whilst not perfect, is best-in-class; and even outperforms other deinterlacers that are many times it's price.

ABT provide a test DVD with ABT102 that's been made by Stacey Spears and Don Munsil, it's got some extermely difficult content to deinterlace and ABT102 passes every test -- not that you can say same of the old SiI504 (in you HD+) or DCDi or even HQV and VXP! ABT102 also aces the Silicon Optix HQV DVD Benchmark test ... it's an excellent product.

StooMonster

Top Bottom