Question How to best use Panasonic surround and front speakers?

myrealusername

Standard Member
Hi all,

I have inherited four wall mounted speakers which are a few years old and were part of Panasonic SC-PT450 - 5.1 Home Cinema System.

Their details are as follows
2 x SB-HS450 surround speakers 3ohm 125W (max)
2 x SB-HF450 front speakers 3ohm 125W (max)
- 1 Way 1 Speaker System (Bass Reflex)
- Full range 6.5cm cone type
- Input Power (125W Max)
- Impedance 3 Ohms
- Output Sound Pressure 82 dB/W (1.0m)
- Dimensions: 92W x142H x 95D mm
Weight: 0.7kg (approx) each

The previous owners decided to take the sub-woofer, the central speaker and the dvd system but left these speakers because (i presume) they are wall mounted and it would have been a nightmare to remove all the wiring that is routed from behind the walls.

Being a complete novice that i am, my first instinct is to buy a subwoofer (or a soundbar?) that i could connect these speakers to. Is that actually possible? I would appreciate if there was a recommendation for such setup. I have attached the pictures to show the connections from those speakers.

Alternatively i would have to leave these speakers are they are for now as i dont want to undertake any extra re-work on wiring, until we redo our living room alter in the year.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

gibbsy

If you are thinking of using them with a new modern receiver then don't. Any speaker under 4 ohms is likely to cause damage to the receiver or at the very least regular safety shutdowns as the working temperature exceeds the safe limits. With modern receivers those speakers are practically useless.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Room Layout - will fixate if the speakers are placed correctly.

Speakers - as gibbsy says they have limited comparability with an AVR so may be better ignored.

Wiring - if (and that can be a big if) it is in the correct place could be reused.

System - which components do you have?

Joe

myrealusername

Standard Member
@gibbsy , @Joe Fernand - thank you both for your replies. sorry couldnt come back to you earlier, but what you have said above makes sense. i will leave these speakers alone until we undertake a bigger renovation project later.

Paul252526

Novice Member
If you are thinking of using them with a new modern receiver then don't. Any speaker under 4 ohms is likely to cause damage to the receiver or at the very least regular safety shutdowns as the working temperature exceeds the safe limits. With modern receivers those speakers are practically useless.
Hi, I have a similar problem where I have the Panasonic home theatre blu ray system (SC-BT230EB-K) - the player is now broke - disc wont open, but I still have the 4 speakers and sub woofer which are in pristine condition. It seems a shame to bin these speakers unless (a) I can connect them to an amplifier or (b) find another Panasonic bl-ray or DVD player that can take them. The speakers are SB-HF230, SB-HC230, SB-HS230 and SB-HW480. Any advice would be appreciated.

gibbsy

Hi, I have a similar problem where I have the Panasonic home theatre blu ray system (SC-BT230EB-K) - the player is now broke - disc wont open, but I still have the 4 speakers and sub woofer which are in pristine condition. It seems a shame to bin these speakers unless (a) I can connect them to an amplifier or (b) find another Panasonic bl-ray or DVD player that can take them. The speakers are SB-HF230, SB-HC230, SB-HS230 and SB-HW480. Any advice would be appreciated.
Same advice really, if the speakers are marked up as being below 4 ohms then it's not wise to use them. The subwoofer is probably a passive design and with modern receivers you must use a powered subwoofer. If the speakers are upwards of 4 ohms then they are usable and you may just have to look for a powered sub.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
To use the speakers you can buy some 5W 4 Ohm resistors and wire them in series with the speaker connection. This will increase the impedance seen by the amplifier and reduce the risk of damage.

The sub is passive and will need its own amplifier. A plate amplifier would be best, as these have the crossover and phase controls that you ideally will need.

Just be aware even a basic set of "proper" speakers will bury the old Panasonic speakers, sounding louder, cleaner and more accurate. Same with the sub.