1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to best set-up my PIONEER AX5A-iS amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MJeeves, Sep 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    What is the BEST way to set-up my new PIONEER AX5AiS Home Cinema amp from scratch. I have made all of the connections and now want to get the best possible sound quality in my smallish room.

From the manual I gather the best way is to:

1: Run through the BASIC AUTO SET-UP using the supplied microphone at the listening position. Should the microphone be pointed in any particular direction? Upward I've heard? Should it be roughly where the centre of my head would be?

2: After the AUTO CALIBRATION is finished I assume I then run the more advanced AUTO-PRO set-up in the EXPERT (PROFESSIONAL) menus? This should then equalize the sound to the characteristics of my room right?

3: Once the AUTO-PRO has completed I then sit back and enjoy. Making fine adjustments in the EXPERT menu to obtain the sound I like. Is there anything else I need to do? What about ALL CHANNEL ADJUST and FRONT ALIGN etc?

Have I got the above order of set-up correct? Do you have any other tips? I particularly like crystal clear dialogue with no distortion and a wide and enveloping soundstage with prominent surround action.

Many thanks and please reply if you can help or offer advice,

Kind regards,

Martin.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    You should place the microphone at where you intend to be seated at head height. Alternatively sit down and place the microphone on your head. Sounds stupid and no I didn't do that but it would make sense I guess if you want it spot on.

I just did the auto set up, nothing more. The amp auto selected speaker size as large when they were in actual fact small. After making that change I found the sub was directed the low frequencies rather than the front 2 channels. tha was the only change I made and it is superb !

I may try run the Expert set up later when I got more time but even the basic one does take some time for the amp to do.

3. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    How do you reset the settings to factory default so I can start again?

Or will it start from scratch again if I run another BASIC SET-UP?

:lease:

4. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
  5. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Just to qualify that - if you don't have a copy of the manual and you are unable to download a copy - send me your address and I wil photocopy mine for you.

6. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Thanks for the offer but I have a manual. Understanding it... that's a different story! ;)

7. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    :rotfl:

Actually thats what I did.. as my seating position is directly behind my left rear, about 7" gap and right rear is about 4 ft away.. not ideal but it does work..

To reset the amp.. swith to standby and flip open the front panel.. press and hold the the tone button, and power up.. keep holding the tone button, and after a couple of seconds, reset flashes.. let go the tone button and press the -tone button once (ok appears on the display) and then press +tone button (ok appears again ) you should hear a click and thats it.. you have reset to default..

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I actually did an Auto-Pro set up last night. For me it added too much reverb in my room. The dialogue from the centre channel is superbly distributed from the centre to the rears, giving you the effect that someone is actually talking at you. Good but too eeery for me !

I then re-did a basic set up and the sound was spot on. Very tight all round and the speed of the effects is dazzling. I proceeded to play Saving Private Ryan DTS opening sequence and was left in shell shock awe. This amp is in a different league to most out there for sure.

9. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I found that the AUTO-PRO set-up "smoothed" out the sound making it easier to listen to and less fatiguing. I also thought that the centre channel was better and the speech was much more intelligable and understandable. I recommend the AUTO-PRO... in my room anyway.

10. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Not tried it so might give it a whirll... out of interest.. what type of speakers you guys using.. I am curently using the NXT jobbies that came with my old DV990 and an old yammy sub.. am looking to replace these with the sv710's but can find any reviews..

11. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Mine are all PROAC loudspeakers. CC One for the centre, Tablette's for the rears and Response 2's for the main left and right. I have a REL sub - Storm V.

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes speech and dialogue is improved, but it felt weird in my room. Normal mode is fine for me, very tight sounds all round, this amp certainly keeps a grip of all the channels and controls sound beautifully.

I have got 7.1 wired up, JBL Control 1 monitors and a Yamaha YST320 sub. Suits me fine, though I will be upgrading upto M&K's in the very near future.

13. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Just ordered the Pio's... thought what the hell.. current speakers are from my old DV990, and they just can't cut the mustard with this receiver.. can push to -22db but anything above causes distortion and vibrations on the centre and f/left.. so the muscle of the x5ai is being wasted at the mo..

tried the auto-pro (and yes ekko. the mic was on my head ;) ) speech is def alot more clearer and defined.. but overall it doesn't sound right.. cant put my finger on it, or explain why.. it just doesn't.. hooked up my laptop to see what was going on.. but then thought bugger it.. if it aint broke dont try and fix it.. so went back to basic setup... every thing is fine.. detects all speakers as small.. but allways seems to get the distance of the sub wrong.. I know it 4.3m from where I sit.. but it allways comes back with a distance of 5.2m weired..

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes as I say the amp allows for reverb from the centre speaker when you do the Auto-Pro set up.

Dialogue and speech is softened and you get reverb throwback into the rears. For that to sound really perfect you need an acoustically dampened/deadened room, which I don't have. Otherwise you hear the reverb. I suppose you can go in manually and refine it till it is just right. Also a slight lip sync delay is introduced. It isn't really a delay problem but the fact that the speech is not being thrown at you from the centre from the direction of the screen, because it comes from all around it reaches you slightly out of sync due to the reverb.

Basic set up just rocks for me. I take it down to about -15dB for things to start getting hot in my set up. Down to -10dB and we are cooking. Not doing that too often at the moment as I am running the amp in gradually.

I have a dedicated HC Loft conversion and I swear at -15dB I know what it feels like to Save Private Ryan, we actually felt we were there last night, that's how good this amp is :eek:

15. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Didn't notice the lip sync.. but then I wasn't paying too much attention to the pic.. just the sound.. it reverbs alright.. but there was something else there and I just cant put my finger on it .. anyways cant wait for the new speakers to arrive, as I have had this amp for the past 2mth's or so.. and It's been crying out to be let of the leash ;) .. my current speakers can only handle 70watts so I have had to be a tad conservative with the power being pushed to them.. even at -22db they are being over worked..

I bet.. which is why I needed some new speakers.. :clap: