How to best complete my hi-fi set up?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Despite the above, I’d still say the A3s would suit your requirements very well.

Nico72

Also worth considering are Quad S2 £600 brand new, with ribbon tweeters.
Or some standmounts from ProAc which are very good with vocals. Link to tabletted 50 below (maybe oldish) or second hand Studio 110.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The Quad S2 has tremendous reviews.

If you can get a listen they might be the very thing.

But whether they are as refined as the Spendor? That’s a big ask for a speaker less then half it’s price.

Definitely worth a listen if you can though.

sopagani

Standard Member
The Quad S2 has tremendous reviews.

If you can get a listen they might be the very thing.

But whether they are as refined as the Spendor? That’s a big ask for a speaker less then half it’s price.

Definitely worth a listen if you can though.
Thank you very much for you help!

The Tannoys look fantastic and at a super price, only downside (apart from the drive) is that they are 1m tall and I feel they could be big for my room. Mainly because I don’t have enough space to let them breathe as they’ll be pretty close to walls. Same for Rega in terms of space.

Still eyeing the Spendor A3, however, reviews aren’t super from what I could find? I never listened to them though. Looking for A5s as well but none I could see on eBay yet apart from R model…

I suppose you think the Oberon 5 are one step below the other suggestions? They would fit space wise and not having much room to toe them in they seem to give their best when kept straight which would help me.

Will read up about Q2 as well.

Best
S

eastsoutheast

This is based on personal experience, PMC GB1i’s should be available around the £600 mark and meet your needs. Small, front ported and can confirm they work well close to rear walls and due to transmission line they produce great bass for a small footprint speaker.

I have set up a Hifi system in a spare bedroom. The room is 10ft by 7ft with the speakers approx 7 inches from both the side and rear walls. I have also worked on the understanding you can’t use large speakers in small rooms without serious adverse impacts. I just added a pair of PMC 25.26’s which are large 3 way speakers. They sound brilliant and don’t in any way sound bloated/gloomy/boomy which surprised me a little.

The reason for the paragraph above is don’t rule out floorstanders in your room.

Good luck

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Thank you very much for you help!

The Tannoys look fantastic and at a super price, only downside (apart from the drive) is that they are 1m tall and I feel they could be big for my room. Mainly because I don’t have enough space to let them breathe as they’ll be pretty close to walls. Same for Rega in terms of space.

Still eyeing the Spendor A3, however, reviews aren’t super from what I could find? I never listened to them though. Looking for A5s as well but none I could see on eBay yet apart from R model…

I suppose you think the Oberon 5 are one step below the other suggestions? They would fit space wise and not having much room to toe them in they seem to give their best when kept straight which would help me.

Will read up about Q2 as well.

Best
S

It’s important to bear in mind that the Spendor reviews are based on it being a £1300 speaker.

It will therefore still be a bargain and a half at the asking price above.

If you find they’re not for you, and I’d be surprised, you could easily sell them on whilst losing only a couple of tens of quids.

A worthy experiment considering the general class of Spendor.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’ve never heard or read a bad word about the Dali Oberon range, quite the opposite, and the 5 would seem to suit your room.

Simply remember that the Spendors are twice their price for a reason.

moujik

Also wondering whether upgrading to Rega Exact from Elys2 would be a key move?
Exact handles fast rhythms impressively, but doesn't give you more detail than Elys2. I'd consider Exact if it cost not more than 50%. So I would fine tune Elys2 with the new speakers instead

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
This is based on personal experience, PMC GB1i’s should be available around the £600 mark and meet your needs. Small, front ported and can confirm they work well close to rear walls and due to transmission line they produce great bass for a small footprint speaker.

I have set up a Hifi system in a spare bedroom. The room is 10ft by 7ft with the speakers approx 7 inches from both the side and rear walls. I have also worked on the understanding you can’t use large speakers in small rooms without serious adverse impacts. I just added a pair of PMC 25.26’s which are large 3 way speakers. They sound brilliant and don’t in any way sound bloated/gloomy/boomy which surprised me a little.

The reason for the paragraph above is don’t rule out floorstanders in your room.

Good luck

For some reason I never think of these.

The GB1s sound huge, yet are tiny indeed.

It is a long time since I heard these, and the FBs too, but I was impressed to bits with what can be done with so small a cabinet.

At 850mm high and just 6 inch across they are about as invisible as a floorstander gets.

A bit of a drive again, but not too bad.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Interesting post here... GB1s oddly.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Excellent. I hope you love them. 👍

Pop back and let us know what you think..

sopagani

Standard Member
Excellent. I hope you love them. 👍

Pop back and let us know what you think..
Hi

Got the speakers set up and I’m glad to report they sound fantastic.

Massive step up!

Staging is brilliant, so much more space, natural and clear sounding, almost raw compared to dm 601and, maybe most surprising after reading the reviews, the bass is seriously punchy and extends a whole lot lower than expected.

It’s almost like listening to diff records all together.

I can understand why one ends up wanting more and more upgrades, when the sound is sooo much better you are left wondering how much more pleasure can I get out of this?

Thank you so much for all your guidance, much appreciated 🙌

S

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Hi

Got the speakers set up and I’m glad to report they sound fantastic.

Massive step up!

Staging is brilliant, so much more space, natural and clear sounding, almost raw compared to dm 601and, maybe most surprising after reading the reviews, the bass is seriously punchy and extends a whole lot lower than expected.

It’s almost like listening to diff records all together.

I can understand why one ends up wanting more and more upgrades, when the sound is sooo much better you are left wondering how much more pleasure can I get out of this?

Thank you so much for all your guidance, much appreciated 🙌

S

I missed your post somehow so sorry for the late reply.

I’m delighted that you‘re pleased with the PMCs.

They are astonishing to my mind. I don’t think I’ve ever been so surprised by a speaker.

I was expecting a very good ‘small’ sound speaker but instead needed a comic double take.

They not only sound clean and articulate but the bass production is quick and out of all proportion to their tiny volume.

One of the few perfectly balanced acceptable sized speakers for a British living room.

sopagani

Standard Member
I missed your post somehow so sorry for the late reply.

I’m delighted that you‘re pleased with the PMCs.

They are astonishing to my mind. I don’t think I’ve ever been so surprised by a speaker.

I was expecting a very good ‘small’ sound speaker but instead needed a comic double take.

They not only sound clean and articulate but the bass production is quick and out of all proportion to their tiny volume.

One of the few perfectly balanced acceptable sized speakers for a British living room.
Hello!

Yes surprising indeed! Once hooked up and playing I could not stop smiling.

It was an excellent suggestion particularly as I have to place them very close to the wall and they don’t seem particularly affected.

They come into their own, almost taking a sonic step up, when volume is a third of the way up on my RA1520 (which is plenty loud!)

In classic fashion I’m now very curious about the GB1i version…would they sound much better you think?

Have to admit listening to music this way, setting up and researching the whole system is a source of profound pleasure.

Thank you again!
SP

madfiddler

I spent ages searching for diminutive floor standers and came up with a shortlist based on reviews but I have to say size was a key driver for me, and similar placement issues.

I pretty much settled on PMC GB1i but couldn’t find a pair second hand for love nor money. By the time I waited so long I’d saved more cash and ended up with a pair of new Spendor A2 that I had a demo of, which are tremendous.

If I had just a little more space and the ability to set the speakers further out into my room I would have gone for the A4 though. Not that the older Spendor are bad (A3) but the newer models seem to consistently get better reviews and I can see why from my experience. For the A2’s size the bass is pretty tight and strong to me, but in part that is also about your room and placement I suppose. The imaging and the mids are sweet, vocals sound great

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom