How to beat Piracy...my version :)

Reaction score
Don't understand it..

When will manufactures get it in their head that to beat Piracy you have to provide a better product than they ("the pirates") can.

no point in selling a DVD or blu-ray for 20 odd quid or more, creating lots of screens telling people not to copy it, more screens saying how this is protected under copy right laws (sit down shut up, no it is not as it still gets copied...oh and this annoying advert taken out!) a little movie asking you what things you would or would not steal..hand bag etc...
then a menu with the crap bits like extras and "behind the scenes".

no total rubbish.

Because at the moment the Pirate versions for blu-rays etc look just as good, you can download from so many different sites, some include a fee and some are free.

You download it, you double click it..it plays. :suicide:

What they (the film industry) need is a DVD/Bluray that you put in...and the film just starts!
Then they could include another disk with all the extras and crap that no-one really watches.

Because at the end of the day when I rent/buy a film the last thing I want is some patronizing screens telling me how much trouble I could get into for copying this DVD/bluray.
hang on I have just paid for this!? why are you telling me!?

Also the industry does not get much sympathy from me when they post up the latest figures from Harry Potter sales and you see the MTV Cribs.. not exactly poor are they?

Any more thoughts?

Or am I the only one that thinks this?

Games etc i buy, music and movies i download . OK i shouldn't but i do.

Saying that i just bought my first CD in about 6 years :rolleyes:...only so i can rip it to the xbox 360 hard drive though :laugh:

Games etc i buy, music and movies i download . OK i shouldn't but i do.

Saying that i just bought my first CD in about 6 years :rolleyes:...only so i can rip it to the xbox 360 hard drive though :laugh:

but why do you do that?

because of the price?

because it is not as good-a-product?

I used to download movies and music, now spotify have sorted it out (the music industry) it is sweet.

no ****ing about with downloading a bloody track for 79p a go or getting a CD then ripping it.

just download the software, pay your 10 quid a month.
bang. done.
all the music you could want on your PC and Phone, you can sync it and make it offline so don't need an internet connection.

Love film are coming along however it is just all the adverts that get annoying.

because most of the films / music does not grab me like it used too so i feel most of the time it's not worth paying for , which is why i am happy to watch a Cam copy of a film if i enjoy it i go to the cinema and watch it.

With the likes of spotify i can listen to music as and when for free so feel no real need to buy a CD which will be listened to once in a blue moon.

I do regularly rent movies on the xbox though :smashin:

I can never fathom how anyone can even attempt to watch a Cam, Tele-cine or Tele-sync copy of a film... even a DVD screener annoys me with the watermarks - I just can't put up with that when trying to enjoy a film.

Been posted before but illustrates the OP's point well

44930-albums898-picture7578.jpg

Cheers,

Nigel

I can never fathom how anyone can even attempt to watch a Cam, Tele-cine or Tele-sync copy of a film... even a DVD screener annoys me with the watermarks - I just can't put up with that when trying to enjoy a film.

it's free so i don't moan, and if i enjoy the film i go out and watch it at a better quality :)

Most cam's are half decent these days

Totally agree.

I have always been fussy with picture quality.

I will always try to locate it in the best quality available to me.

it's free so i don't moan, and if i enjoy the film i go out and watch it at a better quality :)

But how can you enjoy a film if it's in terrible quality? :confused:

Arguably it is piracy that has caused films and TV shows to be released here in the EU much earlier than they would otherwise be. Lost and BSG are particular examples that I remember.

Piracy has also led to much quicker implementation of legitimate online streaming services and downloads.

IMO piracy would be almost wiped off the map if we were allowed to properly try before we buy in terms of downloadable movies and music. More reasonable prices would also be a much better idea. 99p for a track from itunes is a complete ripoff.

I understand physical media has much higher overheads, but downloading an album shouldn't cost more than £3-£4. The prices Sony charge to rent or own a film on the PS3 are higher than buying the blu-ray. It's a complete rip-off.

Spotify is a nice idea - can't see the point until they go lossless though. For mobile devices maybe.

I must say, the chuck-and-play of movies has taken a huge nosedive with blu-rays. You put it in, it takes ages to warm up - it asks random questions during this so you can't put in it then go and so something else. 'What country are you in?' - by the way - top tip - don't say UK - if you say Czech Republic you don't get the 'you wouldn't steal a handbag' video - that's all that choice is for :rotfl:

I recently upgrade our Sound of Music DVD to a Blu-ray - thinking we might was well a watch it quite a lot with the kids. What a mistake! It now take 10x longer to load, scene selection is slow, it leaves a scene selector plastered over the screen after you skip for about 5 seconds, menus are sluggish so you don't know if it has registered or not etc etc. Progress? :confused:

There are plenty of x264 files floating around that offer 1080p quality and are often encoded with DD 5.1 or DTS as well. As good as the blu-ray often as well.

Certain films are available in this format before they even hit the cinema in the UK. :suicide:

Last edited:

Do people really watch those? :confused: I assumed they waited for the Blu-release and watched the um downloadable version of those...

You can also get R5 releases that are DVD quality in terms of picture and sound and are often available before the film even hits the cinemas in the UK.

The A-Team, Expendables and a few others are notable recent examples.

You can also get R5 releases that are DVD quality in terms of picture and sound and are often available before the film even hits the cinemas in the UK.

Most R5's are Russain with english cam audio dubbed over

Whilst PQ is good cam audio ain't

Most R5's are Russain with english cam audio dubbed over

Whilst PQ is good cam audio ain't

Cams are rubbish I agree, but always got DD5.1 flagged on my receiver with an R5. :confused:

There are plenty of x264 files floating around that offer 1080p quality and are often encoded with DD 5.1 as well. As good as the blu-ray often as well.

Certain films are available in this format before they even hit the cinema in the UK. :suicide:

I know this but to get a good rls you need to know where to look and that is why the common pirate copy for the masses is a cam, a TS or TC sometimes a screener... I made this point in reference to a poster talking about what kind of films they watch.

I do disagree that a x264 is anywhere near a blu-ray though, you can not compress a film from ~30GB down to 10GB without suffering loss. Good quality? Yes; as good as a Blu? No.

Also the industry does not get much sympathy from me when they post up the latest figures from Harry Potter sales and you see the MTV Cribs.. not exactly poor are they?

Any more thoughts?

To be fair, the artists main pay check comes from live shows, radio\TV royalties and merchandise. Its something like the artists only get 3% from CD sales.

If I'm going to spend a couple of hours of my life watching a movie on decent kit the last thing I want to do is compromise on sound and/or picture quality by watching a pirated copy.

That said, I don't want to spend full whack for something I'll likely only watch once.

Hence renting is the ideal answer for me. :)

I don't mind going to the cinema to watch a decent film, but paying £35-£40 a go (by the time you buy a hot dog and some nachos) to watch some crappy movie in 3d:thumbsdow

I don't see why people use expensive snacks as a reason not to go to the cinema. Don't buy them :confused:

I watched a film at home last night - and didn't feel the need to eat anything.

I'd prefer they didn't sell food at cinemas, people make such a mess and noise when eating, it's one of the [many] reasons why I don't go.

I know this but to get a good rls you need to know where to look and that is why the common pirate copy for the masses is a cam, a TS or TC sometimes a screener... I made this point in reference to a poster talking about what kind of films they watch.

I do disagree that a x264 is anywhere near a blu-ray though, you can not compress a film from ~30GB down to 10GB without suffering loss. Good quality? Yes; as good as a Blu? No.

Most that I have seen are around 14GB and there is often a 720p and a 1080p version. The 720p version aren't obviously as good, but the only difference I notice with a 1080p version is a bit of judder here and there and you can't complain about that when its free.

You obviously don't get the DTS HD audio, which is stripped out and probably explains why the file is so much smaller, but then again I don't think the HD audio is that much better, certainly not at well below reference level which is where 99% of people watching a film realistically have to listen to it at if they don't want environmental health knocking down the door.

I agree in theory, but how much of that 30GB is rubbish extras/padding that has no relation to the main feature?

Plus, you can take quite a bit (40%?) off a CD without affecting the quality :) Granted that is a pretty old format :)

Most that I have seen are around 14GB and there is often a 720p and a 1080p version. The 720p version aren't obviously as good, but the only difference I notice with a 1080p version is a bit of judder here and there and you can't complain about that when its free.

Average Joe isn't going to give a toss about 720/1080 as long as the PQ is watchable

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom