How To Back Up VHS To DVD???

asimmd

Hi All
I hope this is in the right place.

We have a lot of bought films on VHS which I would like to back up onto DVD.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible,and how do I do it.

This is not a request to become a pirate,the vhs tapes are becoming worn and I do not want to loose them.

We have bought the films from reputable sources and only want to back them up for our own use.

Thanks

Alan

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi All
I hope this is in the right place.

We have a lot of bought films on VHS which I would like to back up onto DVD.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible,and how do I do it.

This is not a request to become a pirate,the vhs tapes are becoming worn and I do not want to loose them.

We have bought the films from reputable sources and only want to back them up for our own use.

Thanks

Alan

I am afraid it will not be possible to copy. The anti copy systems will prevent you.

Forum rules prevent us from discussing anti copying defeating systems.

sammy4499771

Basic description of what you need to do;

Capture film onto computer through a capture card or box.

Covert the captured video footage to mpeg 2.

Use a DVD autoring programme to burn to DVD format.

asimmd

I am sorry for asking the question,I don't want to infringe forum rules.

I know it is possible to do this,I just don't know how to do it.

If someone could email me with any information,I hope that would not breach the rules.

As I said,this is not for illegal purposes,I really want to back up my vhs tapes before they become unplayable.

Apologies for any offence.

Alan

Gavtech

Administrator

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, only a relatively small proportion of commercial films on tape had Macrovision.

I seem to recall users of certain types of projector used to have problems when replaying such tapes.

Hal_loe

Actually, only a relatively small proportion of commercial films on tape had Macrovision.

I seem to recall users of certain types of projector used to have problems when replaying such tapes.

I believe mainly all the Disney films.

Personally I don't see the the point in transfering commerical VHS to DVD. Most film can be bought on DVD relatively cheaply (especially with eBay) with far superior quality than you will ever get from a VHS.

Gavtech

Administrator
Personally I don't see the the point in transfering commerical VHS to DVD. Most film can be bought on DVD relatively cheaply (especially with eBay) with far superior quality than you will ever get from a VHS.

I agree... Especially with the investment in time required to achieve it.

[... but then I don't see the point of watching films in any case. :D ]

mw01908

But what about home movies or old 80's tv shows? I've been researching this for days and I'm confused. I've read lot of posts that say DVD recorder is the way to go, others who say DV tape, others who say capture device for PC then to AVI format. Problems with DVD Recorders include blocking and mistaking noisy tapes for macrovison causing errors. I read that you need a TBC to do it properly also on PC and DVD rec.

After reading all that it looks like its not worth the effort? Is it, surely in 2007 we can do some VHS - DVD easily in high quality>?

Hal_loe

But what about home movies or old 80's tv shows? I've been researching this for days and I'm confused. I've read lot of posts that say DVD recorder is the way to go, others who say DV tape, others who say capture device for PC then to AVI format. Problems with DVD Recorders include blocking and mistaking noisy tapes for macrovison causing errors. I read that you need a TBC to do it properly also on PC and DVD rec.

After reading all that it looks like its not worth the effort? Is it, surely in 2007 we can do some VHS - DVD easily in high quality>?

Most DVD Recorders have some TBC built in to the external inputs.

The Panasonic Range have Noise Reduction systems built in for the external inputs also.

If you are converting DV to DVD the highest quality route is via AVI on a PC.

You cannot really convert VHS to DVD in high quality as the quality is not on VHS to start with.

The easiest method is VHS to DVD using a DVD recorder.

Hope that helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom