How to avoid buying a Panasonic DMREX97?

alywin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Okay, well, last time I posted here was probably to lament the passing of my much-appreciated Panasonic DVDR/VCR. I fear I have to bite the bullet and buy some sort of new DVDR, and it looks as though there's really no choice apart from the Panasonic DMREX97, but I've read the reviews on that one and it's clearly not up to scratch. What other options do I have? I'm seriously considering getting an older, refurbed machine or similar in order to avoid having to buy it, and would appreciate thoughts. My considerations, in no particular order, are:

- I have at least finally got rid of my old Panasonic TV, so now have a 24" TX-24E302B flatscreen which has a wide variety of connection options: I think HDMI, SCART, AV, USB, Ethernet ... - which is more than can be said for the DMREX97!

- when the old recorder failed, I had a large number of unfinished DVDs, so assume I'll need another Panasonic recorder if I want to finalise them?

- I'd like to be able to connect other sources in, which I understand the DMREX97 is unable to do. In particular, I have a number of VHS recordings which I hadn't got around to transferring to DVD, so I'd appreciate being able to connect up the old DVDR/VCR (the VCR bit is still working) so I could do that.

- It would be nice to be able to record directly to DVD rather than have to faff around transferring recordings from the HD.

What do you think? Is getting a refurb a realistic option? (although I'm keeping my eye on charity shops which sell electricals just in case!) Am I going to be able to receive current Freeview channels on an older model? What will happen if I get a larger TV which may not have so many connection options? Are there models you'd particularly recommend? Bear in mind that I've barely ever bought anything off eBay. Are there good sources for refurbs you can recommend?

Many thanks for your time.

Okay, well, last time I posted here was probably to lament the passing of my much-appreciated Panasonic DVDR/VCR. I fear I have to bite the bullet and buy some sort of new DVDR, and it looks as though there's really no choice apart from the Panasonic DMREX97, but I've read the reviews on that one and it's clearly not up to scratch. What other options do I have? I'm seriously considering getting an older, refurbed machine or similar in order to avoid having to buy it, and would appreciate thoughts. My considerations, in no particular order, are:

- I have at least finally got rid of my old Panasonic TV, so now have a 24" TX-24E302B flatscreen which has a wide variety of connection options: I think HDMI, SCART, AV, USB, Ethernet ... - which is more than can be said for the DMREX97!

- when the old recorder failed, I had a large number of unfinished DVDs, so assume I'll need another Panasonic recorder if I want to finalise them?

- I'd like to be able to connect other sources in, which I understand the DMREX97 is unable to do. In particular, I have a number of VHS recordings which I hadn't got around to transferring to DVD, so I'd appreciate being able to connect up the old DVDR/VCR (the VCR bit is still working) so I could do that.

- It would be nice to be able to record directly to DVD rather than have to faff around transferring recordings from the HD.

What do you think? Is getting a refurb a realistic option? (although I'm keeping my eye on charity shops which sell electricals just in case!) Am I going to be able to receive current Freeview channels on an older model? What will happen if I get a larger TV which may not have so many connection options? Are there models you'd particularly recommend? Bear in mind that I've barely ever bought anything off eBay. Are there good sources for refurbs you can recommend?

Many thanks for your time.
Yes - you would need another Panasonic to finalise DVD recordings.

Really - given your requirements as set out above you have no option but to go for an older model - second hand or refurbished.

Models now are all digital, and are 'closed system'. They have no analogue inputs or outputs and you can only record what comes via the aerial and only connect via an HDMI interconnect.

All models that came after the DMREH60D ( included) have got digital tuners so will handle freeview.
That was 12 years ago!

The only other option is to make an general adjustment in approach. Unless you have extremely unique and precious material on VHS it may be time to move onto Bluray/ DVD machines.

It means having to put up with the limitations that digital restriction and content / broadcaster control which that brings - but it is offset by increased access to other sources via networking and access to catch-up services which often provides access to material that you may have been wanting to preserve by the lengthy process of preserving inferior quality VHS material.

I'm not sure on this but as regards the issue of unfinalised DVDs..........
It may be possible to use some data recovery software to retrieve the data burnt on this disc onto a PC and thence to use the PC to master new discs from the recovered files. So doing would open up the choice of what machine you'd choose to complete your VHS archiving project.

Data recovery software isn't usually "free", but you might see if RECUVA will read your discs.

And there is certainly at least one pretty good DVD authoring tool that is free - DVDStyler.

Thank you, both of you - and sorry for the late reply: life was very hectic just before Christmas. Gavtech, yes, part of the problem is that a lot of my material is VHS-only - much never released on DVD for some reason - although presumably DRM-protected and non-transferable anyway, so I still need a VCR to view that, for as long as possible, although that doesn't really matter in this case. But the sort of material I still have on VHS is pretty esoteric, so I don't think I can rely on finding them on catch-up.

Relatively few commercial VHS tapes actually had "Macrovision" copy protection. Of course, Murphy's Law would suggest that yours probably do - but your first step is to try them and see.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom