1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to author a good quality DVD after editing?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by felix2, Aug 7, 2005.

1. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Sorry if this is quite basic stuff – I’ve only just started trying to do video on my PC. I want to put a couple of short videos of wedding receptions onto DVD to keep (and share copies), and re-use the original camcorder tapes.

I’ve got U-Lead Video Studio, which seems to be quite popular on the forum (an old-ish version – 6). I captured the DV through Firewire really easily, and have done a little bit of editing. I then rendered it and saved it as DVD MPEG2 (defaults to Variable Bit Rate, maximum 6.0 Mbps), but it wouldn’t burn it onto disk how I wanted it.

I’ve got Sonic My DVD 4.5 and NeroVision for DVD authoring (both bundled free with disk drives). They both seem to have pros and cons. But when I tried using My DVD, it claimed the file had an illegal bit rate for DVDs and wouldn’t do it. I did manage to get NeroVision to burn a DVD, but when I played it on my DVD recorder, the quality was very disappointing – lots of pixelation / blocking, and shadowing etc., and not as good as the recording I got from plugging the camcorder straight into the DVD recorder. (Bizarrely, the DVD done with NeroVision wasn’t too bad on a friend’s DVD player!?)

Am I best to record the edited video as AVI and then render it in the DVD authoring software? And would I save it as “AVI uncompressed” or “AVI DV Video Encoder” type 1 or 2? With my DVD recorder, I’m used to choosing an exact bit rate based on quality and file size, but Sonic My DVD and NeroVision only seem to have vague things like “Good”, “Best”, etc. Would I use VBR or CBR? How do I get a good quality DVD that will work on all players??? Any help very gratefully received! :confused:

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

I'm not familiar with the software you are using but if you want to keep the whole process simple from capturing of DV footage to producing your DVD it maybe worth your while looking at Studio 9 or Ulead Studio 9 and keeping the whole process in one software package.

You should be able you download both versions of software as trial software and get to edit and burn your DVD. You will not need capture footage again. Simply import your AVI file which you captured ealier.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/docloade...UK.htm&Product_ID=1501&Langue_ID=2&loc=doc173

http://www.ulead.com/vs/trial.htm

I tend to use CBR to give better quality results if space constraints on the DVD are not an issue. If the video footage is approaching the 2 hour mark then I will burn using VBR to increase the amount of footage on the DVD.

In either case the results are pretty good with either Pinnacle Studio or Ulead Studio for the cost of the software. You can get better results but the software is more (Pinancle Liquid) or you have to break the process up and use 3rd party encoders. The DVD's at least hold up to scutinity on my 42inch set without pixelisation being an issue.

Pinnacle also allows you to create the DVD with strict compatibility to allow it to work on most DVD players which will read recordable DVD's.

3. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thank you very much for your advice Laser. I won't have a chance to do anything this week, but when I can I'll check out the U-Lead Studio 9 and/or Pinnacle Studio 9 on trial as you suggested. Just quickly, I don't suppose you know if either of them will burn more than one project at a time onto DVD, and do menus/titles/chapters etc? Or is that when you start to need separate DVD authoring software again? (Like Sonic MyDVD or NeroVision, or presumably U-Lead Movie Maker???) And do you need to go through the whole process of several hours of rendering each time you go back and want to make another copy of the video to give to someone?! Thanks again!

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you like Pinnacle Studio - get it here for £23.50 (half price).
    It probably means that version 10 is due soon ('ish)

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Ah version 10. That'll be the one that is bug free and doesn't keep crashing :devil:

Mark.

6. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That'll be the one Mark! :rotfl: :D :rotfl: :D :rotfl:

7. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    I use pinnacle studio 9 plus and despite persisting from version 7 ( with all its bugs) i have to say that when it works it is a delight it is otherwise a Pain .in the..a**e . Pinnacle have been bought over by Avid and the future of its software is uncertain (A more stable version 10?? that would be very welcome) .
    You could try Uleads' slightly more expensive software: movie workshop2 /express.
    http://www.ulead.co.uk/dws/dws_express/features.htm
    It will take your dvd compliant mpeg2 files and author a dvd without rerendering and every single time i have used the (full )non express version i have had a totally compatible dvd. It will even allow you make ntsc from pal copies for your folks in the states should you wish to. A simple but equally capable software is Ulead moviefactory4 also available for download to try
    http://www.ulead.co.uk/dmf/runme.htm
    I have also used it instead of using the built-in dvd authoring abilities of the studio9+ and Liquid Edition 6.1 software. The work flow to author a dvd with it is unbelievably simple and results impressive

8. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I've installed U-Lead Video Studio 8 and DVD Movie Factory 4, but not yet had time to do anything much on them... will let you know (eventually!) how I get on. Thanks 4 all the advice!

9. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I’ve been playing around with these 2 programmes, and think I’ve (almost) got it sussed! Video Studio 8 (unlike version 6) will burn a DVD with more than one project at a time, burns to re-writeable DVD-RW, - and does menus etc. Its standard encoding (6 Mbps) was better than I got with version 6, but ended up being very jerky with moderately fast movement, and still wasn’t great overall.

Then I tried (for comparison) using Movie Factory 4 to burn the original MPEG movie I’d created from VS6, and it was exactly the same as I’d got before – so NeroVision hadn’t been at fault after all, and hadn’t re-compressed it.

So now I’m saving the edited movie as an AVI (“same as original captured settings” option), and using MF4 to do all the encoding / authoring / burning. The standard encoding was better than I got straight from VS8, and with no jerkiness. For VBR, using 2 passes was slightly better than 1, and CBR was slightly better still. Using 8 Mbps CBR was noticeably better, and 9 Mbps (1 hr on a DVD) is getting hard to distinguish from plugging the camcorder straight into the telly. So at last I’m happy! (Although I may keep back-ups of the AVI files too for any really important stuff…) :)

However, I’m still a bit bemused that the MF4 output at about 7 Mbps still only seems to be comparable with the much lower “standard play” 4.6 Mbps (2hr on DVD) recording done direct on my stand-alone DVD recorder? Is it possible that the DVD recorder makes a better job of playing back (decoding) stuff it’s encoded itself than it does of DVDs encoded on the PC? (That may explain why my very first attempt was so disappointing but then looked kind-of reasonable on a friend’s DVD player!?) I’ll watch the threads about PCs versus DVD recorders with interest! :confused:

I’ve also used MF4 to copy part of a friend’s DVD, trim it a bit, and burn a copy, with no quality loss. I’ve found MF4 very easy to use, it seems pretty versatile, and has more menu options etc than VS8 on its own. And just to answer my other question, yes you can do disk-to-disk copies, or make “disk images” on your hard disk, ready for doing multiple copies.

Finally, I have to admit the original source video I was testing with was pretty ropey! I’d only had the camcorder 2 weeks and made the mistake of using one of the 10 different special “low light” settings – doh! I don’t think MPEG compression likes really grainy large blocks of similar colours… But with the 9Mbps output from MF4, the outdoor shots are absolutely fine now!

So thanks for the advice, I think I’m up and running now! If anyone’s got any other experience to add, it’d still be interesting to hear!

10. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    Well done. If you later feel the need to be more adventourous, Canopus Procoder express, TMPGenc /express are excellent standalone Software mpeg encoders whose output would not normally be re-encoded by MF4 in authoring a DVD but if you feel :"If it aint broke dont fix it" , dont buy the programs. You could trial or borrow to compare output of short segments of AVI to mpeg just to satisfy your curiosity .Bear in mind though that we all seem to pursue (in vain) the "perfect" quality DVD!!(LOL)
    You will see more on these on threads that relate to making dvds for the USA from PAL sources or vice versa (ntsc to pal) and also the pc vs settop dvd recorder threads
    I had a Panasonic HS2 settop DVD recorder ( one of the first ones with a built in HDD : now dead and buried), which had fantastic output from Sky Digibox source material ( RBG Scart Analogue) but definitely "softer" output from firewire coming from camcorder , compared to similar material encoded on the PC.
    As you have found out yourself not even the software encoders ( from the same company ) are created equal {could be they used different ones for the different products}
    Some ( cheaper / older) standalone DVD players struggle with encoding rates above 8Mps. If unsure of where a dvd will be played it may be prudent to only go up to 9Mps if there are no known compatibility issues