How to apply decking oil

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am going to be oiling the decking with the weather gets slightly better so have seen some deals on decking oils and cleaners that will allow me to purchase them slightly cheaper than normal price.

I was wondering what others have used to apply their decking stain or oil?

I could use a brush but that might be hard going on my knees and back.

Also if anyone has any links to what they got it would be appreciated.

Did mine last year. I'd read those grooved pads were rubbish so just used a standard, soft bristled fence brush and some knee pads. I'd buy a couple of brushes though, I found the oil destroyed the bristles after a while

I used Wickes natural Decking oil in the 5l tins. Not cheap but very happy with it and it still looks great after the long, wet winter

yes tried the pads, complete waste of money, sadly treating decking is a slow and painful (knees and back) process. I have used cuprinol deck stain for years treating the decking each year with two coats and its still going strong 17 years on (well most of it apart for some small sections were I used Wickes deck boards, these are complete junk imo).

Why can't you use a soft long handled yard brush and tip the oil in a plastic car sump oil tray

I used a sprayer and it just gets everywhere even on a still day, it took longer to sheet up walls and windows than brushing it on to be honest wouldn't recommend. Good for fence panels away from the house though.

How to apply decking oil

Give the Grandson/Nephew £20 and two purpose brushes & leave him there while you go out for the day.

guys, i used cuprinol decking stain on my decking two years ago, i was going to do it again this year.

Do i simply paint over the existing old stain or do i need to do something before hand.

i will be cleaning it.

guys, i used cuprinol decking stain on my decking two years ago, i was going to do it again this year.

Do i simply paint over the existing old stain or do i need to do something before hand.

i will be cleaning it.
I would clean it and after a few days a quick sand down, then stain it.

I used a student to recoat my decking, but to be honest there was so much grease in his hair that he made a poor tool. Bending down in women's work, so use the right tool for the job.
:D

i will be cleaning it.
I just jet wash mine off and paint over the old stain.

I know these are a bit expensive but if I use the decking oil and get 2 of them they will no doubt be well used year after year wit re-applying.

Osmo Floor Brush

I have long harris extension poles that I hope can screw into them - what do you think?

I have 5m bi-folds that the decking runs right along the front of so spraying by the sounds of it would cause them to get covered... As I love being married I think I will avoid the spraying option :)

I have never treated mine. been down for about 7 years. Have also lifted and relayed it with no issues.

I have never treated mine. been down for about 7 years. Have also lifted and relayed it with no issues.

I did the same on my large rear and front decks for about 8 years then did some work last year and decided to blast it and treat it. The difference is marked.
Results are in the pics in this thread...

Home Gym | AVForums

...if you get time to look. The front deck came out even better as it hadnt been covered over by buildings so much

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom