How to add sub to desktop USB Dac & powered monitors?

brenos

Novice Member
Reaction score
Not sure on where to post this so please feel free to move if it's better suited elsewhere...

I want to hopefully add a spare sub to my desktop PC setup to augment the sound I have there. My setup is:
Topping DX3 Pro USB Dac - USB from PC, RCA to powered monitors
JBL 104 - these have both RCA in and HF Balanced in, with a simple speaker cable from master to slave
Mordaunt Short Alumni 9 sub - RCA in and LFE in and out

Please tell me there's a few clever cable/converter purchases I can make to get these together?

Cheers,
Andy

You just need an RCA Y splitter to plug in the output of the Topping to feed the same signal to the JBL and MS via standard RCA stereo cables.

Something like this -

The only restriction is that you can't fully blend the Speakers with the sub like with a AVR. The JBL roll off at 80-85hz so as a start I would set the sub to - Input=sub (not LFE), Freq to about 2 o'clock unless there are indents but around 80-90hz is OK, phase leave at 0, and then turn the volume up until it just about audible then turn it down very slightly.

This should be a decent starting point so tweak from.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The other way to go about this is to install a sound card with surround sound and bass management functionality. A basic Soundblaster Audigy Fx 5.1 comes in at £35, but of course there are also better models at higher prices (and even "no name" cards for £9.99!) If you're into gaming, this would likely be the best way forward.

Ah Y-Splitters - so obvious can't believe I missed it. Thanks for all the other tips too :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom